Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Will the drivers provided on my Dell "Drivers and Utilities" be compatible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FatLord

FatLord

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hello!

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15r Special Edition with Windows 8 as it's default operating system. Since I don't like it that much, I plan to format the hard drive (by going into computer-> Right click on C: -> Format) and then to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium on it.

After the clean installation procedure, I was wondering if I could simply insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc into the optical drive and intall the drivers like I would normally do.

Therefore, the real question would be: Will the Windows 8 drivers provided by Dell be compatible with Windows 7?

Thank you very much everyone.

FatLord

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

I did find this one "Inspiron 15R SE 7520" If that is your model then the Dell website has Windows 7 64bit drivers and Windows 8 64 bit drivers available for download.

I would use the Windows 7 Drivers for windows 7, Just download them ahead of time and burn them to a CD or store on a flash drive so you will have them handy to use.

I would also have my Antivirus ready to install before I went on the Internet.

3rd point. Windows will prevent you from formatting the drive it is installed on. So you have to do it during the install process.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Hello!

> Right click on C: -> Format) and then to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium on it.

FatLord

that wont work ,you cant format a hard drive[from within windows ] that's in use ,you will need to do this after booting laptop to the win7 dvd

you better check with Dell to make sure that there are drivers for win7 ,before yo udowngrade ,and also I think you should give win8 a chance it actually isn't that bad one you get to know the shortcuts .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users