Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Couple of Problems with Windows Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EZFrag

EZFrag

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hi. I recently purchased an electronic device that, for some reason or other, requires windows firewall to be active during installation. I have ran zone alarm security suite for years. After having problems with the installation, I went to their website (the electronic device people) and they informed me of the windows firewall problem. I shutdown my xone alarm, go to my control panal, and attempt to start windows firewall. When I get there, it says that windows firewall is not using the recommended settings. I click on the button to update windows firewall so I can use the recommended settings. I just get the spinning wheel (time clock). It eventually stops, but nothing has changed. I can click, over to the side, on the the link to turn the firewall on/off, and it goes to a page that says "customize settings for each individual network", where I have the only option of "update firewall settings, where I can, again, "use the recommended settings." Again, if clicked, I get the spinning circle, then it stops. Nothing changes.

Other windows firewall problem I have is the homegroup. We have a lot of electronic equipment in my house. We are all high tech. I have 2 boys that each have a desktop. Wife, me, and a son have laptops. Ipads, iphones, etc. Well, I was attempting to connect my new laptop to the network so I can print from it. I go into the control panel to the homegroup, so I can view the password. i click the link, nothing happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

homegroups are only for a windows 7 /vista / windows 8 network. Your apple devices will not recgonize the homegroup and vice versa. You can go to the homegroup settings and tell it not to participate in a home group this will place it back into a standard networking mode where al of the devices will be able to see and communicate with each other.

With the firewall I would say the problem you are having is related to Zonealarm being installed. You will probably have to uninstall it to get the windows firewall to function properly. I have been an avid user of zonalarm for years with xp. Windows 7 firewall is good enough that I don't bother with it anymore though.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users