Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Failed to connect to a windows service'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ABarRiNgST

ABarRiNgST

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'd be grateful for some help with diagnosis of this problem. None of the thirteen solutions I've tried has worked so any help on what to investigate next would be welcome.

Problem Presentation
1) Error message on boot: "Failed to connect to a windows service
Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."
2) Windows 7 Aero desktop is disabled.
3) Graphics card (nVidia) control panel inaccessible.
4) Edit: Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre is unable to play DVD's but able to play HDCP Blu-Ray

Environment
Machine is a Dell XPS730X running Windows 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials. All security patches have been applied except for those where MVP Susan Bradley has recommended a hold.

Errors in the System Event Log
15:01:54
The Creative Audio Service service hung on starting.

15:01:55
The Adobe SwitchBoard service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Adobe SwitchBoard service to connect.

The Power Control [2010/02/13 15:47:10] service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

15:02:00
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Archlp

(Note: Archlp.sys is (was?) an Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre file. Arcsoft TotalMEdia Theatre file has been upgraded to the latest version (5.3) and does not appear to have any files of this name.)

15:03:00
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
and APPID
{344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

(Note: This is IPBusENum)

Solutions Tried
1) System Event Notification Service was set to start automatically.
2) The 'Power' service was set to start automatically. No 'Power Control' service is listed so I'm unable to check the path reference.
3) 'netsh winsock reset' and 'netsh winsock reset catalog' were both run in safe mode with administrator privileges.
4) 'sfc /verifyonly was been run in safe mode with administrator privileges. No problems were found.
5) Deep security scans with Malwarebytes, MS Security Essentials, and the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool found nothing.
6) Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre was upgraded to the latest version. This had no effect on the archlp error but it was noted that it would not play DVD's. No problem with Blu-rays. Edit: The DVD failure is part of the current problem. Windows media player is able to play DVD's.
An old installation of Cyberlink's Blu-ray player was uninstalled.
7) Reinstallation of nVidia driver. The control panel became accessible until reboot when it became inaccessible again.
8) Jv16 power tools were used for registry, file, and history cleaning. (I use CCleaner regularly to reduce file bloat on the OS drive.)
9) An attempt to reset security levels on IPBusENum failed as all of the settings on the properties tab of IPBusEnum are greyed out. The only dependency is the 'Media Center Extender Service' which was disabled.
10) Disabling the IPBusEnum service has no effect on the observed problem.
11) The font caches were reset. (FontCache-System.dat)
12) A system restore reboots the computer and removes the problem. If this is followed by a simple reboot the problem is still absent but three hours later another simple reboot showed the problem had reappeared.
13) All non-essential startup programs were disabled.
Edit: 14) jv16's Compact registry function made the problem go away until I carried out a simple reboot when the problem reappeared. Whilst the problem had gone all of the listed errors in the system events were still present. jv16 refused to compact HKY_USERS because it thought compressing 256KB down to 8KB was too much.

Edited by ABarRiNgST, 27 December 2012 - 11:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

Click on startmenu and type

cmd

Right click on it and select run as administrator and run this command

netsh winsock reset

Restart the PC,any changes?

#3 ABarRiNgST

ABarRiNgST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Right click on it and select run as administrator and run this command

netsh winsock reset

This was item 3 in my list of solutions tried.

#4 ABarRiNgST

ABarRiNgST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I think I have figured out what is going wrong.

The registry had become bloated and enlarged to the point where Windows boot was unable to parse the registry file without errors. My basis for this belief is that I compacted the registry a second time using jv16 power tools and the problem no longer presents in the manner I described. The second run of jv16 did not indicate it was doing anything differently from the first time it was run. It continues to say that HKEY_USERS cannot be compacted.

If anyone knows more about what jv16 is doing here, why it won't compact, and what might be done to fully compact the registry, I'd be glad to hear from you.

The question of what pushed the registry file over the edge is uncertain. I strongly suspect a new Blu-ray disc which, on first play, mentioned that it had new features and my Blu-ray player might need an update. The problems started after that disc was first played. This may be my paranoia about HDCP placing unnecessary stresses on my computer but I'm adding it to provide a line of inquiry for anyone else who might have this problem.

If anyone has any questions including any about my configuration I'll be happy to do my best to answer.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

The registry had become bloated and enlarged to the point where Windows boot was unable to parse the registry file without errors.

jv16 PowerTools - Claimed Benefits from this Registry Cleaner / Optimizer -
Your computer will run faster - a clean Windows registry results in a smoother, less cluttered computer that loads programs faster. NO
Recover lost disk space and system resources by safely removing unneccesary files and software leftovers. NO
Easy to use - streamlined and intuitive interface. = LOOKS PRETTY
Increased privacy - PowerTools Lite EX 2013 helps you easily delete MRU (most recently used) entries. NO You must give your email for them to sell -
Safer browsing - Immunize My Computer put in place browsing protections when you're online. ???
Safe to use - the default settings are chosen for maximum safety and the backup system can help you recover from mistakes. ???

- How is this downloaded program able to decide on what are Your important processes, and what are not ??

Do all of these claims work for you ?? - If not, then why are you still using this program ??

Even Cnet, that flogs this stuff, only rates it 2.5 out of 5 ..............

Edited by noknojon, 30 December 2012 - 01:21 AM.

#6 ABarRiNgST

ABarRiNgST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

If not, then why are you still using this program ??

Your suggestion that I look at alternative programs is helpful. Thank you.

Edited by ABarRiNgST, 30 December 2012 - 11:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users