Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is 'recovery console' necessary

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pantasonic

pantasonic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

Is 'recovery console' really necessary if all I need is log file? (will manually fix whats needed)
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

What are we talking about? Your question is completely out of context and impossible to understand or answer.

#3 pantasonic

pantasonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

well, when installing combofix, it offers to install or update recovery console. I don't wish to install it. will it produce same log file with or without it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

If you intend to use ComboFix, I suggest that you read the following.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

If you have a malware situation...I suggest that you follow the guidance in the link above. The XP forum is not the place to inquire about the use of malware tools, how they work, etc. The link above will get you appropriate guidance, IMO.

Louis

#5 pantasonic

pantasonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

thanks, I've read it but it is not clear to me if 'recovery console' is needed to both clean AND detect malware on winXP. I only need log file.
sorry for posting in wrong forum.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hello,ComboFix is a powerfull tool that should only be run with supervision. It may remove something that can shut your PC down. That is why the Recovery Console installation is needed PRIOR to running the tool. You are actually not just getting a log.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users