Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashing with flashing coloured lines

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tvnmfjc

tvnmfjc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

Have just moved house and before the move the computer was not crashing but now it is intermittently either crashing to coloured lines then a black screen or restarting itself. We had had issues with it restarting and crashing to blue screens about a year ago but got it fixed and were told it was the graphics card. The most recent change was an update to an NVIDIA driver (NVIDIA graphics driver 306.97 and NVIDIA update 1.10.8) just before the move and after restoring to point before the update it seemed to stop crashing but then NVIDIA updates again automatically. My boyfriend said he'd deleted it completely then and there were no crashes until just now when it has popped back onto the computer. We had taken windows updates off automatic. Please could someone advise me of what to do? Deleting the driver does compromise graphics quality but that version seems to be causing problems and keeps appearing on the computer eventually anyway.
We are using windows vista home basic. Sorry, not sure what else you need to know right now. Hope you can help.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

1) Disable Windows Update from automatically installing anything other than critical updates. NEVER download drivers from Windows Update.

2) Roll back the video driver (in device manager).

#3 tvnmfjc

tvnmfjc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

I've done as you suggested but the computer is still crashing and seems to be even worse. Error messages had previously said the nvidia driver had stopped working. I'm just not getting any information now and it's only started up properly once and then only lasted 30 seconds.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Can you boot to safe mode?

#5 tvnmfjc

tvnmfjc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yes, got there in the end. In safe mode now

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#7 tvnmfjc

tvnmfjc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

There was no information when I ran bluescreenview so I changed settings so the computer creates minidump files and then started up normally and let it crash. Haven't yet been able to start in safe mode again. Will run it again when I can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users