Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weak Wifi Signal - Toshiba Satellite

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5269 running Windows 7. I've noticed that my laptop wifi signal is sometimes very weak, especially in comparison to the signal I get on my Samsung Galaxy SII phone, to the point where it is more productive for me to simply tether to my phone. Any way to diagnose this, or fix the problem? (Is upgrading hardware a possibility?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Aside from getting a wireles usb adapter, no, I don't believe you can upgrade your internal wireless adapter. I'd recommend checking the drivers on the wireless nic and making sure they are up to date. Also, while I'm not a fan of using the wifi software that comes with laptops, in some cases it may be best to use it.

The next thing to do is check your router. Make sure that your router's firmware is up to date and that your wireless settings are set correctly. Also, what channel is the wireless working on? Is it set to automatic? If you have neighbors with wifi, there may be some interference (yes, even if your galaxy phone gets a full signal, silly wireless).

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Sorry to bring this topic back up, I'm still having problems.

So I'm trying to update the drivers... but there are multiple under the Wifi category for my laptop. Are these just the same thing by different software companies?
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=3025552&rpn=PSAY3U&modelFilter=P755-S5269&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

Also, I'm having trouble actually installing the driver - I can download it and start it just fine - it will extract to whatever temp file, but after that the extractor disappears and no setup window will come up. I've tried this with several of the drivers on the website, and I've run as an administrator. What's going on?

#4 frankpowell422

frankpowell422

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Why don't you ask the guy for the driver installation who had sold the equipment?

#5 BaddJone

BaddJone

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

It's funny that your phone has more wifi signals that your laptop. I dont think it's a software issue. If it is really troubling you, contact Toshiba support. But before that check the signal strength on an some other laptop just to make sure it's not a router issue.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

You say you have a Samsung Galaxy Phone. Why not download the free Wifi Analyzer app and test your WiFi signal where it is problematic for the laptop. Mobile handsets generally work better than laptops with weaker signals. You may be on the ragged edge of what your laptop can work with. You may just need a relatively inexpensive WiFi signal booster or possibly a range extender. Both are not difficult fixes. But knowing your WiFi signal strength will give you additional information to make a more informed decision on how to proceed.

I make this suggestion in lieu of trying to upgrade/update your existing laptop hardware which seems to be the more difficult route.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

It's funny that your phone has more wifi signals that your laptop. I dont think it's a software issue. If it is really troubling you, contact Toshiba support. But before that check the signal strength on an some other laptop just to make sure it's not a router issue.

Thanks, my roommates generally don't have problems with wifi (although my desk is in the corner of the room), and I know Macs usually have perfect signal anywhere in the room.

You say you have a Samsung Galaxy Phone. Why not download the free Wifi Analyzer app and test your WiFi signal where it is problematic for the laptop. Mobile handsets generally work better than laptops with weaker signals. You may be on the ragged edge of what your laptop can work with. You may just need a relatively inexpensive WiFi signal booster or possibly a range extender. Both are not difficult fixes. But knowing your WiFi signal strength will give you additional information to make a more informed decision on how to proceed.

I make this suggestion in lieu of trying to upgrade/update your existing laptop hardware which seems to be the more difficult route.

Thank you. At first, it showed several wifi signals with the same name (I'm at school), at around -80 dBm. But now, it doesn't show anything and just says "Authenticating..."

#8 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Thank you. At first, it showed several wifi signals with the same name (I'm at school), at around -80 dBm. But now, it doesn't show anything and just says "Authenticating..."

Sorry, scratch that, must've just been an anomaly. It does work, but it just shows the signal strength around -80 to -70 dBm.
And as for my laptop wifi, it will get the signal and be really good for a while, but then it just randomly loses internet without actually saying that it lost the internet connection, and webpages will freeze up.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

That weak of a signal is the ragged edge of usability for a lot of older WiFi components. I would look into alternative solutions such as installing a WiFi booster or a replacement WiFi adapter that can use the lower signal more effectively. This may however depend on your budget constraints.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Ah, that is very unfortunate to hear, especially since I only got this laptop a year and a half ago. I Any recommendations on a wifi adapter? (Since it's a public wifi router, I can't change it)

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi, There is one remote possibility.

In a laptop the antennas are hooked up to the wireless card with little push on plugs, If one or both came loose you could have this problem.

This image shows an example of the connections.
http://travelogue.travelvice.com/postfiles/2008-06-09_laptop-wireless-card-antennae-connections.jpg

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users