Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparing for my first cpu upgrade

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DjangoEX

DjangoEX

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hey guys first off her are my system specs:
AMD Athlon II 64 X2 250 Dual-Core 3.0GHz AM3 Processor
AMD STANDARD COOLING FAN
Asus M4N68T-M V2 Socket AM3/ GeForce 7025/ DDR3-1800(O.C.)/ A&V&GbE/ MATX Motherboard
4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333MHz (PC3 10600) Dual Channel
250GB 7200 RPM 16MB CACHE SATA 3.0Gb/s
22X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW W/LIGHTSCRIBE
ATI RADEON HD 5670 1GB DDR3 DVI/HDMI/VGA VIDEO CARD
REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD
REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
NZXT ALPHA MID-TOWER ATX CASE
( x 2 ) 120mm CASE FAN
hec X ORION 585 WATT POWER SUPPLY

Ok so in 2 days my new AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition is coming and I don't want to mess anything up when I upgrade it does anyone have any first time tips? I've watched many videos and it looks
like a simple and easy process but I've heard the smallest things can fry the processor or even the motherboard. How much thermal paste should I apply, how do I know if its already applied or if its just old thermal paste. Do I need to delete my old processor drivers before I upgrade do I need to install new driver s for the processor? How do I check my BIOS? Answers to these questions would be much appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

My tip would be to check if the CPU itself is placed in properly into the socket as you can damage the CPU if placed incorrectly. I would basically apply a pea sized amount which should be enough. There is no need to muck around with drivers :) To enter the Bios, you have to press the delete key when you turn the computer on. Once your in, select the "Main" tab and go to system information which should show you the CPU.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DjangoEX

DjangoEX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

From one of the videos I saw theirs like an arrow that shows you where to line up the cpu?Also it said not to push down to had or it will mess up the pins on the bottom

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

d. How much thermal paste should I apply, how do I know if its already applied or if its just old thermal paste.

A pea size is a little much, about the size of a grain of white rice should be sufficient. The surface of the heat sink looks smooth, but the truth of the matter is that it isn't. The process of transferring the heat from the CPU to the heat sink is convection. The thermal paste fills in the inconsistencies of the two surfaces, it only takes a small amount to accomplish this. If you are using the old heat sink you will need to clean the surface which will mate with the CPU, a credit card or other plastic card will work for removing most of the material, isopropyl alcohol can be used to remove the remaining residue.

Once the CPU is installed in its socket apply the thermal compound to the center metal portion and spread it evenly. All you need to do now is attach the heat sink and fan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DjangoEX

DjangoEX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

So if I put on to much thermal paste what will happen?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

It will extrude out the sides. There are some very good products out there, Artic Silver is one which is very popular one of these. But it has conductive properties which if spreads between board components could create a short.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DjangoEX

DjangoEX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I had bought ARCTIC SILVER CERAMIQUE2 since this was the cheapest I could find. Will this cause any problems? Would I need to apply a new coat later on because I was cheap?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

That is a good product, you should be good to go. As long as you don't remove the two the paste should be good for as long as the two are mated.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

AMD retail CPUs...come with the preapplied thermal grease/paste and heatsink/fan.

I've never found a reason not to use such, no need to apply thermal paste.

Louis

#10 DjangoEX

DjangoEX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hey I just read somewhere that this cpu will be bottlenecked by my gpu is this true?And if so how bad will it be.I usually play games at 1680x1050 resolution

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Don't worry about it . That GPU will bottleneck any modern CPU you throw at it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#12 DjangoEX

DjangoEX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Anyone know if I can use my same heatsink for this processor or not?The guy I bought it from forgot to send the heatsink with it.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

It may work as AMD loves reusing parts. I cannot see them making one heatsink for one CPU SKU and another heatsink for a different one. However, I would exercise caution and either wait for the heatsink to be delivered or buy a cheap one. Most heatsinks come with thermal paste already on them, HDT style heatsinks are more efficient but often do not have paste on them and, for best performance, require a different application method than the usual heatink. Installing CPU's are easy, no software to install and if there is a problem with the BIOS, it will usually be very obvious.

3939.png

#14 DjangoEX

DjangoEX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

As I've had many problems finding a new heatsink I'm wondering will the Cooler Master Hyper 101a work with this processor?

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

The COOLER MASTER RR-H101-22FK-RA should work with AMD builds, but is rated for CPU's up to 70W. The Phenom II 965 is a 125W CPU and thus that CPU cooler shouldn't be used. In my opinion, if you can get a 120mm fan that can fit inside your case, I would go for it. They usually move more air at lower speeds and are quieter. For my AMD FX-8150, I use something very similar to the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 and it does quite well. This is an HDT cooler so you may want to check this article out. I use the two line method with the paste.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users