Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode No Password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 bossmoss3xlt

bossmoss3xlt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

I have a Lenovo S10 Win XP Home 32 bit about 2 years old. At some point about a year ago Blaster got in and shut it down. I got the fake scans and fixes on the screen without ever being able to get away from that Blaster screen. Always leading to the same thing: In order to completely fix the problems, I needed to purchase the Windows "Cleaner" for about $85.00. I say "Cleaner" because I can't remember the actual name. Being on SSD, there was no way I could go that route. I called several repair shops but Social Security has a way of severely limiting your options. It was during this time that I discovered the bane of my tech world was Blaster. Not that it mattered, because it was a financial thing to deal with, whether it was real or fake. Subsequently, I decided to shelve the computer and just use my then cellphone for my internet use. Recently, I began thinking about maybe putting a laptop on layaway at Kmart or someplace. But I decided to see if there was anything I could do about my Lenovo and good old Blaster. I now have an SG3 which I can use as a mobile hotspot to access the internet on my computer. However, I can't enter the operating system on the computer. Here is what happens: When I click on or try to go to it, it always asks for my Windows log on password that I can't remember. Then I get the "Windows can't log you on", etc. Therefore, no way to try out any of the things I've read about to get rid of Blaster. Also, can't enter safe mode because it too takes me to the log on window and wants the long forgotten password. When I've tried to download various fixes using my SG3 as a hotspot it doesn't work. I have no optical drive, internal or external. So I can't get to the Administrators screen. I can't get into the XP system. Which all means I still have Blaster. Any suggestions? Or should I be looking at somehow getting a new computer since a 2 year old netbook isn't worth it? Although it would meet my needs. Thank all of you for your time and attention and please forgive me for any ramblings, all-time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Restore to factory defaults.

Various Links On How To

Louis

#3 bossmoss3xlt

bossmoss3xlt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thank you. I tried a lot of them. Most start with accessing the safe mode through the recovery button on the S10 which has gotten me nowhere. And then, all of them end up at the "disk this and disk that" phase. What about me trying to get an external burner(they are very cheap). Then I could get the XP software from Trinity Software (about $50.00?). Total cost maybe $75? Am I being too naive about the fix or would it work? Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

I don't know anything about OEM systems that employ all sorts of passwords...the OEM documentation would be the best source of information on such, IMO.

I do know that I would not invest money in a netbook...I consider them to be "throwaway computers" from the moment they were introduced. If you look at all the offerings available today, you will see that netbooks are not being pushed by the manufacturers for any reason other than to reduce existing inventories, IMO.

Louis

#5 bossmoss3xlt

bossmoss3xlt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thank you. The reason I've let the S10 sit all this time has been a lingering, almost overwhelming, subconscious thought that to invest any money in a 2 year old netbook would be a total waste. You seem to have validated my thoughts. With that in mind, I thank you for your patience and help.It has been truly appreciated. As for me, it's laptop time!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

:thumbup2: . not sure that my thoughts validate anything, other than the manner in which I look at such ;).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

The problem with your netbook can likely be resolved with a little assistance (at minimal/no cost). I see no valid reason to waste your money unnecessarily purchasing another machine.

Let me know if you are interested in pursuing the matter.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 bossmoss3xlt

bossmoss3xlt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I am interested! I am on Social Security Disability so minimal to no cost would be perfect! Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Let's get a little more info on the situation.

You mentioned "Being on SSD ..."
Did you mean it has an SSD storage device rather than a normal hard disk drive? (... not that it should make any diffence)
  • However, it does lead me to wonder if your current SSD/hard drive does have the recovery partition available on it.
    Any information you can provide may be helpful.
As I understand it, you are using a phone to communicate on the forum. Do you have available, or can you get access to the use of, another computer to download any tools &/or create a bootable flashdrive?

Do you have a flashdrive available to use?
  • If the flashdrive is used to install a bootable operating system on, any data on the flashdrive will be lost, so anything of importance on the flashdrive will first need to be saved elsewhere.
Edit to add ... one other question comes to mind. Is there any data on the netbook that you would wish to save, should we end up having to perform a complete restoration from the recovery partition? Your personal data would need to be accessed and saved to another device before starting the recovery.

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 December 2012 - 07:37 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 bossmoss3xlt

bossmoss3xlt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Sorry for the confusion. When I said I was on SSD I was talking about Social Security Disability. A reference to a shortage of disposable funds.
No,I don't have access to another computer. If I want to use the S10 I switch my SG3 to Portable Hotspot. However, see my notes above on that.
I do not have a flash drive, only storage card.

#11 bossmoss3xlt

bossmoss3xlt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Also, I don't care what data is on this thing! Everything can get washed down the drain as long as it takes Blaster with it!

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Hmmmm ... our options are severely limited working with those confines.

You wrote: "... can't enter safe mode because it too takes me to the log on window ..."
When you attempt to start Windows in Safe Mode, at the screen requiring you to log on what accounts do you see available?
  • Do you see an account named "Administrator"?
  • Have you tried logging into that account rather than the account you would normally log on to?
  • What happens when you try to log on to the Administrator account, leaving the password empty (empty by default)?

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 December 2012 - 08:20 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 bossmoss3xlt

bossmoss3xlt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

There is no admin option in the advanced options menu. There is Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging Last known Good Configuration, Enable VGA Mode, Directory Services Restore Mode, Debugging Mode, Disable Auto Restart, Start Windows Normally and Reboot. Nothing else. So, is it new laptop time yet?

#14 bossmoss3xlt

bossmoss3xlt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Also, on the log on page nothing comes up when I press the Options button.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Also, on the log on page nothing comes up when I press the Options button.

What exactly do you see at the log on page?
  • I was expecting/hoping that you should see the (otherwise hidden and unused) Administrator account which you could log on to without using a password, which is the default setting.
  • Apparently, you are not seeing that Administator account. Is that correct?

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users