Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incredibly Long Boot Times and Freezing on Lenovo Laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 heldmacm

heldmacm

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi all,

I bought a Lenovo G555 laptop in new condition, and it can't be more than two years old. For quite some time, it's had several annoying problems. Most notably, it occasionally completely freezes; this can occur while using it, or when opening the lid after it has not been in use. The second issue is that the time it takes to boot up is no less than 20 to 30 minutes. This occurs whether the computer is restarted or booted up after being off.

Here are the remedies I have already tried:

-Restoring to factory condition (several times)
-Daily antivirus scans (full scans once a week) with the most up to date virus definitions (I use avast! and nothing is detected)
-Full Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scans with the most up to date definitions (no malware found)

I do not have an extreme amount of software installed, as I think I'm pretty careful about what I install on my PCs.

On top of this, beginning today, Windows is now reporting there is a problem with the battery and it needs to be replaced, but the problems described above began long before this happened.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but this PC is nearly always plugged in, as we only unplug it to take it elsewhere on fairly rare occasions.

Your help would greatly be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I don't know if this makes any difference, but this PC is nearly always plugged in, as we only unplug it to take it elsewhere on fairly rare occasions

The battery depletion came from here obviously. Has it ever been clean internally? Run a hardware diagnostic test for the hard drive and RAM stick if the laptop came with a built-in testing one to check for any errors.

Edited by jhayz, 26 December 2012 - 09:48 PM.

Tekken

#3 heldmacm

heldmacm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

I don't know if this makes any difference, but this PC is nearly always plugged in, as we only unplug it to take it elsewhere on fairly rare occasions

The battery depletion came from here obviously. Has it ever been clean internally? Run a hardware diagnostic test for the hard drive and RAM stick if the laptop came with a built-in testing one to check for any errors.

Thank you for the reply; I take it that you shouldn't leave a laptop plugged in most of the time? While we use it somewhat like a desktop, we use it primarily in the living room where a desktop is not practical - plus there's a few occasions where we do want to use it unplugged. In any event, I suppose I'd have to buy a replacement battery, right?

I believe it was OK when we first got it, but it's been like this for quite some time; I've just finally gotten around to seeking help for the issue(s). Per your advice, I'm currently running a hard drive diagnostic scan (in DOS), and early indications are there's a problem with the hard drive. If that is indeed the case, and I also need to buy a replacement battery, I imagine I'd be better served just buying a new laptop.

#4 heldmacm

heldmacm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Here's an update: since I have a Western Digital hard drive, I booted to DOS using the Hirens CD boot disc and ran their WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Utility. The quick scan indicated a problem (error/status code: 0007 - "Read Element Failure") and indicated doing an extended scan will attempt to fix the problem. I let it continue, and it indicated it fixed the issue. I restarted and right away I received a "BOOTMGR image is corrupt" error that prevented me from booting to Windows 7. I did some additional research and saw some suggestions that booting to the System Recovery Options screen (from the Windows 7 Recovery Disc) and selecting Startup Repair may fix the issue. I did this, and it attempted to reboot one unsuccessfully; it tried a second time and was able to load Windows.

I thought I was out of the woods, but immediately, I noticed some odd things. Every time Windows loads, I receive messages that some indicate problems with my Desktop Manager, audio (though the sound still worked), and network card (unlike the audio, I did not have connectivity). I was able to fix the network card issue by removing the drivers, rebooting and letting Windows find and reinstall the appropriate drivers, but the other two message persist each time I boot. Additionally, there is another extremely strange issue I've noticed that did not occur prior to running the hard drive diagnostic utility: each time I use Firefox (updated to the latest version) and go Gmail or use the Google search bar feature that is part of Firefox, Firefox immediately crashes before even loading Gmail or the search results. It's bizarre to say the least, and I've not noticed any other sites I've visited that crash Firefox, but going to either of those places crash it each time.

I haven't had a chance to see what, if anything, else may be wrong, but I find it very odd that running a hard drive diagnostic utility and letting it (supposedly) fix the problem would result in this behavior. However, it now appears I have an even bigger issue, as once I took it out of Hibernate mode this morning, it's been sitting at the "Welcome" screen for the past five to ten minutes; this also happened last night during a reboot, but does not happen every time, as I have been able to successfully load Windows a few times. What are my next options?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

I responded to your question at ComputerHope.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

In response to the battery, you can either replace it or see if the booting problems would be resolved first. Follow the checkdisk repair as suggested by Allan.

Tekken

#7 heldmacm

heldmacm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

I responded to your question at ComputerHope.

Thank you - I'll respond there.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Post back for any results. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#9 heldmacm

heldmacm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Post back for any results. :thumbup2:

I let memtest86+ run for four passes and did not encounter any errors. I restored to factory condition and hope that solves the problem (aside from the battery, of course). After I use it for a while and begin to install only basic, but necessary programs, I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Just remove the power adapter when its fully charged so the battery cells will not deteriorate quickly. The laptop on battery with minimum softwares/programs running would either be from 4 hours above for new batteries on 100% charged before recharging it again.

Edited by jhayz, 01 January 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Tekken

#11 heldmacm

heldmacm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Just remove the power adapter when its fully charged so the battery cells will not deteriorate quickly. The laptop on battery with minimum softwares/programs running would either be from 4 hours above for new batteries on 100% charged before recharging it again.

I tried that and I got 30 minutes tops out of a fully charged battery; I suspect I might have a bad battery. ;)

More importantly, though, since the system restore, things seem to be working properly for the most part. I'm going to give it a least a week of running without issue before buying a replacement battery, but so far, so good (knock on wood).

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Yes, a new battery would top at 4 hours atleast for laptops and more on netbooks.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users