Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio in new Windows 8 Pro install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 elhartman

elhartman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I recently upgraded from the Windows 8 release preview to Windows 8 Pro. When I first installed the release preview, I had no audio. Re-installing the audio drivers fixed that problem, but not this time with Windows 8 Pro. I've tried installing AC'97, Realtek HD, Intel HD, and VIA audio drivers, and none of those fixed my problems. My PC is a custom build with the following specs:
Intel i5-3470 3.2GHz
GeForce GTX 650
EliteGroup H61H2-M2 motherboard
8GB DDR3 RAM
450watt PSU
1TB 7200rpm HDD

In "Sound mixer", when playing music, I am getting audio activity, but I cannot hear it through the front or back audio ports of my computer. In "Sound" I see:
"Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" - Active device
"Digital Audio (HDMI)" - Disabled device

I'm 100% sure my headphones are plugged into the correct ports. And I have tried it with speakers as well, so I know it's not my headphones. Any solutions would be great!

EDIT: I booted into Ubuntu to make sure it wasn't my motherboard, and the audio DID work fine.

FIXED EDIT: I finally fixed it after about 3 hours! I went to the EliteGroup website (the manufacturers of my motherboard), which is http://ecs.com.tw/ and I looked for my specific mobo and downloaded the audio drivers for it. Apparently the drivers I were installing previously only worked with the release preview of Windows 8.

Edited by elhartman, 26 December 2012 - 04:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

I see you posted as I was researching this. I'll leave in case it helps anyone else. Thank You for reporting the outcome
Roger

From here

Support Microsoft® Windows® 8 Operating System

Support for the next version of Microsoft Windows - Windows 8

So are you going to the ECS website for drivers?
Drivers From here choose downloads

Special Note
To support Microsoft Windows 8 OS, corresponding BIOS and drivers update are required. Please link to http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/ECS_win8/win8_bios.html

Then you can download and install the drivers from here.

Driver Name VIA High Definition Audio Driver
Version v10.900a
Release Date 2012/08/13
Update Description
Special Note To support Microsoft Windows 8 OS, corresponding BIOS and drivers update are required. Please link to http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/ECS_win8/win8_bios.html
File Size 126MB
Support O.S Windows XP 32bit edition ; Windows XP 64bit edition ; Windows 7 32bit ; Windows 7 64bit ; Windows 8 64bit ; Windows 8 32bit

I suggest downloading all the Win 8 drivers, The built-in ones are only so so.

Hope this helps
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 elhartman

elhartman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Rotor123, I'm sure that your post will help many others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users