Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problem.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BendyStraws

BendyStraws

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new here and stumbled upon this forum while looking for answers to my boot problem. Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated. I know a decent amount when it comes to computers, but i have no idea how to tackle this one. When i try to boot, i get this message.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/564902_10151344547820339_1349813751_n.jpg

I'm running an Intel core i5 2500k, 16 gigs of corsair vengeance RAM, EVGA z68 sli micro MOBO, MSI PE 660ti graphics card, seagate 3tb hdd, and two Crucial m4 128 gig SSDs in raid0. Running on Windows 8.

My first reaction to the problem was the SSDs. I just got my second one to put in Raid0. Ive been running it for about 4 days now with no problems. I reset my CMOS, and set up my mobo with the RAID options again. Going into my bios i found out that the array is healthy and the drive is bootable. I took out all of my RAM, switching it around to see if i had a dead stick. Needless to say im at a dead end.

Thank you for your time, and for any feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

NTFS I recognize, care to translate the rest.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 BendyStraws

BendyStraws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Ok, so my PC will boot if i keep the windows 8 disc in the drive. This is a quick fix but is there a way around this to fix it permanently?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

I was able to find that the ReNTFS is a new version of the NTFS file system which is used in Windows 8. I've only found three topics online referring to black screen with those letters, the only one which has had any success with resolving this. The person who posted this black screen with ReNTFS on posted that it was corrected after replacing a failed CD/DVD drive. But that is the only topic of the three that had any response which leaves me wondering if this was coincidental.

Does this computer get through the POST and the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Do you have any other devices plugged in? USB drive? Check the BIOS and see what device your booting to first.

#6 BendyStraws

BendyStraws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Yes, the computer does POST and im able to get into the BIOS. After the bios, i get the raid configure screen then usually it boots windows in a few seconds. Instead of windows booting, i get the error screen.

Im currently on my PC right now. Like i said, im able to boot no problem if i boot it with the CD in the drive. My BIOS is set to boot off of my raid array.

I do have a few devices plugged into my PC via usb. My bamboo tablet, mouse, keyboard, wireless adapter, and a super nintendo controller.

Edited by BendyStraws, 27 December 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I''m not well versed in RAID 0, but if my memory is correct the operating system and other data are split between the two hdds. Because of this I'm not quite sure how you would go about do a Windows 8 Refresh which is what I would suggest in this situation. Because it will only boot when the installation disc in it looks like there was a problem with your original installation.

#8 BendyStraws

BendyStraws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yeah, i just reformatted like 4 times in the past month and im tired of reformatting. Should i just reformat now and fix the problem or should i just keep the disc in the entire time? I'm sure there has to be a fix that doesnt involve me reformatting.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Hopefully i can find a way around this.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

A refresh is what use to be called a repair installation. Like a repair installation this will not effect your personal data or non Windows programs installed.

#10 BendyStraws

BendyStraws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I just went into my BIOS and booted from the installation CD. I am attempting to repair windows now. Its been "Attempting Repairs" for about 20 mins. Should i just let this run? Does the repair usually take this long?

#11 BendyStraws

BendyStraws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

I just got the message that windows could not repair. I tried to run the refresh option but it said the hard drive i have windows installed to is unlocked. How do i unlock said hard drive (its actually my SSDs)so i can run the repair?

Once again thank you for the responses, been tons of help.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Does this give you the option to do this upon restart?

The hdd being locked up implies that it is in use.

#13 BendyStraws

BendyStraws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Figured out the problem. My BIOS kept putting the boot priority to one of the SSDs in the array. Not the actual RAID array itself. This explains why i was getting the NTFS error, because of the way data is saved on the SSDs while in raid.0 I feel like an idiot now. But the question remains, why does my bios keep setting my pc to the ssd instead of the actual raid array? It seems like i have to go and change it whenever i restart my pc.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

You may want to replace the CMOS battery. A failing CMOS battery can cause the BIOS to revert to default settings.

#15 BendyStraws

BendyStraws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Alright, will do that! Thanks for all the responses. I do enjoy these forums a ton! Looks like ill have to stick around, boost my knowledge, and share my knowledge with someone in need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users