Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ok so I'm really stupid

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vandalla

vandalla

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

So I'm working on this Acer laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit installed. I notice the harddrive is just about full and go about looking for where the space is being taken up. Without thinking (obviously) I decided it would be a good thing to reduce the size of the C:\Windows\winsxs folder by deleting clear out older files and folders. Huge mistake, there is several programs installed on this machine that cannot be reinstalled, I've tried a number of things to try and get the computer to function normally again however to no avail. Right now whenever I try to launch explorer.exe I get an error "failed to initialize properly" and a code 0xc0150004. When it boots I just get a black screen with the mouse cursor and nothing more. I've tried to install Vista Home Basic on another drive in the same computer and just copy the winsxs folder but that didn't work either. I've tried to launch the installation disk to try and do a repair installation but it doesn't launch. I've tried running sfc /scannow about half the time the command prompt closes before it finishes, and when it did finish once it was unable to repair the errors. So if anyone out there can help me please I beg of you, and yes I'm an idiot for doing this. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vandalla

vandalla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Oh yes and before anyone says anything no restore points are available.

#3 Lamenralus

Lamenralus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Have you tried booting into safemode and doing a System Restore or doing a restore to last known good configuration?

#4 vandalla

vandalla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Have you tried booting into safemode and doing a System Restore or doing a restore to last known good configuration?

I get the same thing in safe mode black screen and mouse cursor. No restore points are available from the "Repair Computer" option, I just ran sfc /scannow again and it says there is a repair operation pending on reboot but I reboot and it says the same thing over and over again.

#5 Lamenralus

Lamenralus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

download that and load it onto a USB drive and try booting from USB and run an MBR checker. There are a ton of awesome tools in that so you might wanna see what other tools may be of use.

Let me know what happens.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

download that and load it onto a USB drive and try booting from USB and run an MBR checker. There are a ton of awesome tools in that so you might wanna see what other tools may be of use.

In order to boot from the USB device you need to have a BIOS which will support USB device in the boot order. If it is you will need to make it the first device in the boot order so it can be booted from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 vandalla

vandalla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

In order to boot from the USB device you need to have a BIOS which will support USB device in the boot order. If it is you will need to make it the first device in the boot order so it can be booted from.

I'm using the ISO in the download to create a bootable CD as we speak I will post when I have any kind of result from it. Thanks!

#8 vandalla

vandalla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Has anyone tried "installing" Vista from Mini XP through the WinNTSetup tool and use the install.wim from a Vista disk? If so does it retain the program data from the previously installed version? i.e. if I have Office or Firefox installed will they still be there after this? Thanks!

#9 Lamenralus

Lamenralus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I have no clue, never tried it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users