Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont even go past the start up screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shorti3232

shorti3232

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

So i have an inspiron6000 dell laptop. when i hit the power button the Dell start up screen comes up, and then as if to start up it goes to a new screen where all it shows is a black screen and a blinking _ in the top left corner. I have tried to press F8 but it will just not allow me to go into safe mode. Is their anything i can do to get this thing to work or is it done for? thank you for the help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I have tried to press F8 but it will just not allow me to go into safe mode.

I'm not sure what that means. EXACTLY what happens when you try to get to safe mode?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Does the same thing happen when trying to boot into safe mode...or enter the BIOS?

Is the XP Recovery Console installed on your system?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx

Louis

#4 shorti3232

shorti3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have tried to press F8 but it will just not allow me to go into safe mode.

I'm not sure what that means. EXACTLY what happens when you try to get to safe mode?

it just stays at a black screen with a blinking "_" in the top left corner. and it stays their no matter how long i wait. this happenes no matter what.

Does the same thing happen when trying to boot into safe mode...or enter the BIOS?

Is the XP Recovery Console installed on your system?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx

Louis

not sure what that even is honestly

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

When the system first boots begin tapping the F8 Function key. Does that take you to the Advanced boot options screen or does it still boot to a black screen? If the latter, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

... when i hit the power button the Dell start up screen comes up, and then as if to start up it goes to a new screen where all it shows is a black screen and a blinking _ in the top left corner. I have tried to press F8 but it will just not allow me to go into safe mode.

... a blank, black screen with a flashing/blinking underscore/cursor in the top left corner ...
This indicates that the system is attempting to boot to a device that is not bootable. If that is the case, tapping F8 on startup will have no effect and not bring up the Windows Advanced Options Menu or Advanced Boot Options (depending on your Windows version) menu screen.

Firstly, check to ensure that there is no removable media that may be affecting the normal startup process, such as a CD or DVD disk in the tray, a memory card or something similar in any slot, and that no USB (or other type) devices are connected to the computer.

If there is no external media in or connected to the system and the problem persists, then it is likely that the MBR (Master Boot Record) has been corrupted.
  • This can happen any number of ways, but malware has been a common cause over the last few years.
What was happening on the system prior to this problem developing?
  • Were you aware of any possible malware infection on the system before this problem arose?
    • Were you attempting to remove malware when the system became unbootable?
    • Have you had to deal with malware on the system recently?
  • If not malware, was there any other problem evident with the system?
  • Were you doing anything unusual that may have inadvertently caused MBR corruption?
Please answer Allan's query:

When the system first boots begin tapping the F8 Function key. Does that take you to the Advanced boot options screen or does it still boot to a black screen?

Does tapping F8 on startup take you to the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" ... or not? I suspect not, from what you have previously posted ... but cannot be absolutely sure of that.
================

Let's have a look at the MBR: You will need a USB drive/flashdrive and a new blank writable CD.

:step1: Please do the following on a working computer:
  • Download GETxPUD.exe to the Desktop.
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
    A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and when finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
    Please be patient: This could take awhile - download file size 63MB.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
You will use this CD to boot the ailing computer from.

:step2: Boot the ailing computer with the xPUD CD.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD/DVD drive.)
    A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear.
  • Click on File.
  • Expand the mnt icon on the left (click on the little arrow beside the icon).
    • sda1, sda2 etc. ...usually correspond to your HDD partitions
    • sdb1, sdc1 is likely to correspond to a USB flashdrive, external USB hard drive etc.
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?).
  • Click Tool on the top menu, and choose Open Terminal.
  • Type the following at the hash prompt:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Note: Leave a space between the following:
      • dd ... the executable application used to create the backup
      • if=/dev/sda ... the device the backup is created from (the hard drive when only one HDD exists)
      • of=mbr.bin ... the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
      • bs=512 ... the number of bytes in the backup
      • count=1 ... says to backup just 1 sector
        It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.
  • Press the <ENTER> key.
    After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin.
  • Go to Home > Power Off > Turn Off and remove the flashdrive as the system shuts down.

:step3: On the working computer:
  • Insert the USB drive, and navigate to the file mbr.bin
  • Zip-up the mbr.bin file:
    • Right-click on the file and choose Send to .. > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      A zipped folder will appear in the same location as the mbr.bin file.
  • Please attach the zipped file to your next reply.
    This will allow the MasterBootRecord of your hard drive to be checked to see whether or not it is infected &/or damaged.

Edited by AustrAlien, 27 December 2012 - 01:27 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users