Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop suffering massive slowdowns

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PolterGhost

PolterGhost

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi, I bought a used HP Pavilion g7 about a month or two ago. I first noticed that I was suffering from a massive slowdown problem that often prevents me from opening programs or even shutting down the computer from a cold startup. My computer is currently running chkdsk from bootup and is finding file segments 58724-58731, 58756-58763 unreadable.

My computer is running Windows 7 sp1. This is the second time this has happened; I had reformatted the hard drive once already due to this issue, and it has now started occurring again two weeks later.

Considering that all I've only put League of Legends, LackeyCCG, and Google Chrome on my computer, I doubt this is a software issue. I have heard that I may have to replace my HDD if I'm receiving errors such as this in such volume. If this is one of the vagaries of purchasing used computers, how should I act? Do warranties typically cover dead hard drives, and if not how much would it cost to replace mine?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#3 PolterGhost

PolterGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

While I would love to do this, dskchk is at segment 63887 out of 111872. It has been four hours since I started it, and will likely be another four hours by the time it finishes, telling me that every of file segment is unreadable along the way. I'm not sure if it's safe to stop dskchk, but I can tell you that I wouldn't be able to access the programs anyway short of a miracle.

#4 PolterGhost

PolterGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Update: I'm now at 66522 out of 111872 file records, and more unreadable file entries are cropping up. This might take days at this rate.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Sounds to me like you may need a new hard drive.

You might stop the chkdsk and run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility on the drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users