Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Way To Retrieve Data From Old Harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kpaul

kpaul

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:05 PM

Hi, i'm new to the forums and was looking for some help. I purchased a new computer last week and hooked up my old harddrive to retrieve some of my old data. It was working fine until recently whenever i try to access it, it tells me the harddrive isn't formatted and won't let me view the files. Is there any program or a way i could get some of my old stuff back?
thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

Do both drives have XP installed? Are the both NTFS or FAT32 file system?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:02 PM

Make sure the jumper on the old drive is set to slave (secondary) and the jumper on the new one with the active installation of XP is set to master (primary) or master with slave present if applicable.

There should be a diagram on the hard drives themselves showing how the jumpers should be set.

#4 kpaul

kpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:22 AM

I believe my computer is currently set to NTFS and the slave which im trying to get the stuff from is fat32. I already have it set to slave, for some reason i was able to get stuff off it the first couple days just fine but now it asks me to format whenever i try to open it.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:46 AM

Enthusiast's suggestion is the easiest and quickest way. Just drag and drop. But if you are have trouble you could use a CD-R. Do you have a burner? Can you burn the information to disk?

Edited by acklan, 27 March 2006 - 06:49 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 kpaul

kpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:09 AM

Hmm... my harddrives are already set to master and slave and everything was working just fine until a few days ago, i was able to drag in everything from there just fine. But for some reason, now when I try to open the drive I get this "The disk in G: is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" prompt.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

Your drive could be going bad.

Just for kicks turn off your computer, unplug the power and data cable from the hard drive in question, and then reboot your computer. Turn computer off, plug in the power and data cable and restart the computer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

For more kicks try the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test (DFT) downloadable HERE.

Download the CD image (.ISO file) version and burn it to a CD with the free tool ImgBurn found HERE.
Or, you might want to try a fuller-featured burning program, CDBurnerXP found HERE. If you already have Roxio or Nero, use that.

Boot from this CD and run the full test on the old drive. This test should give you a good indication of the drive's condition. You may have to change your BIOS boot order setting so that your computer tries to boot from the CD/DVD drive before trying to boot from the hard drive.

Edited by pascor22234, 27 March 2006 - 05:02 PM.

#9 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Hi kpaul, :thumbsup: to BC

I had a hard-drive come up with the not formatted problem late last year and had to use a file recovery program to recover my files. I was one unhappy camper when the hard-drive did this because I had been lazy backing up my data (way... lazy) and had about three months worth of data that I wished to recover.

I wish I could tell you I found a freeware program which worked for me but I can not. All the freeware programs I tried would not even recognize the drive little less allow me to see the files on it. I finally had to break down and buy some software to help me recover whatever I could from the drive.

The program I used (R Studio) worked like a charm, it recovered about 98%+ of my data but unfortunately the program does not come cheap. This software will allow you to try a demo of what it can do, the demo will allow you recover files up to 64K in size, anything bigger and you have to purchase it. This at least allows you to see if it is worth spending the money on.

http://www.r-studio.com/

If you do go this route make sure you get the version that applies to the hard-drive format that you wish to recover files from as they only cost $50 compared the version that does all formats cost of $80.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#10 kpaul

kpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

thanks for the help so far guys. I tried rebooting it without the hard drive then putting it back in and now i get this blue screen that tells me to use chkdisk or to remove any hard drives that were added. I'm going to try that Hitachi Drive test thing next. Does anyone know of any free programs like the one Ronbo mentioned?

#11 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

kpaul, whatever you do do not use chkdisk on that drive. It will cause damage to files that are on that disk making recovery harder at best and impossible at worst.

Good luck

#12 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

Kpaul, before you run that drive fitness test make sure that it will not write anything to the hard-drive. It is possible that part of its fitness testing is how good the drive reads and writes. If it does do this it will over write data that already exists on the drive.

Edit: some of what that drive fitness test software can do will over write data on the drive. If you do use it make sure that you only use the read only portions of the test.

Also be aware that if this drive really is going down for the count, the more you run it, the more likely it will fail causing you to lose all your data.

Edited by Ronbo, 27 March 2006 - 09:10 PM.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

Try Kim Komando's tip and put the drive in the freezer overnight (in a plastic bag) and then reconnect it.

It's worth a try.

#14 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:01 PM

FYI - Hitachi DFT is a non-destructive test, data-wise. It leaves the test drive unchanged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users