Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing/Hanging issue w/ rotating blue circle cursor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZevLupus

ZevLupus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

My computer has started freezing up with the cursor hanging constantly as the blue rotating circle as if something is loading. I can't access any programs or bring up the task manager but I can move the mouse. It started out happening infrequently when I would first start the computer. It would boot up normally but when I tried to start a program it would freeze and the only thing I could do was power off and restart.

Now it happens every time I start the computer unless in safe mode, which works with no issue. Usually within the first 5 minutes after booting up the computer freezes. I have been able to open some programs or games in full screen and play normally but I am unable to alt+tab out of the game. When I exit to the desktop, everything is locked up as if the freeze has already occurred in the background.

I am running Windows 7 64bit SP1
Intel Core i5-3570k CPU
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 670 GPU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

While in safemode hit the start button and type msconfig then under the startup tab disable all items apply.
Then under the services tab put a tick next to hide microsoft services disable all that remain hit apply and reboot into normal mode.

Let me know if the machine is now responsive.

#3 ZevLupus

ZevLupus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

My apologies for not including this to begin with but I have disabled startup items prior to the freeze problem worsening and again in safe mode after to no avail. I have also scanned my pc with malwarebytes and avast with neither scan showing any threats.

Edited by ZevLupus, 26 December 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

How about the services?
\

Lets make sure there is no malware here run these in safemode with networking.

Download tdss killer

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

Right Click it Run as Admin . Click on Change parameters Select TDLFS file system

Hit the Scan button Post the LOG In your next reply

Do not change the default options on scan results

Run a scan with Eset.
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
Make sure remove found threats and scan archives is checked.
When the scan finish list found threats save to clipboard copy to notepad Post the log here.

Download the Emsisoft Emergency Kit
http://download1.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftEmergencyKit.zip

Right click it and extract to your desktop.Double click the New Folder that is created on your desktop
Then right click and run as admin xp users double click on the Start.exe button to launch the program Click on the Emergency Scanner Option
if you see a Windows message asking if you would like EmergencyScanner.bat to run, please allow it to do so by clicking on the Run or Yes buttons.
proceed with the updates,
When it is done, click on the Back to Security Status link.
Then Select the Deep Scan button. Then hit the Scan Button.
After the scan is finished quarantine any found threats and then reboot your machine.
Post the log.

#5 skittles22

skittles22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

I am having the same exact problem. 

While in safe mode, I went to MSConfig and under startup tab disabled all items.  This did not work.

I went back into safe mode and disabled all services (exept the microsoft services).  This Worked!!!

Now what?  What's the next step?

Does this mean that one of those services on the list is giving the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users