Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sometimes everyday,can't get on a website

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

There is a guitar forum that I like,and I can always get on the site when I first get on computer,but after a few times, I can't get on, I will get a thing that says can't connect, with a bunch of reasons, it happens more frequently.
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Hi guit30 -
Can you please list your Antivirus program(s) and Antimalware program(s)

Also can you list the site (or a link), and I will go and check it with my computers -

Thanks -

#3 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

noknoj,

Thanks alot,

I use Norton Internet Security
and I use Secunia for program patchs,
I use free Malwarebytes if i think there is a malware prblem,
when you use their scan, it expires the next day, unless you want to pay for their excellent services
The website is www.thegearpage.net

Thanks,
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Copied and Pasted from the forum Admin just to show that I did visit the site ...............

TDPRI
Administrator
Poster Extraordinaire

Well I visited the site and browsed the forum area (as you can see) without any problems
I just entered the www.thegearpage.net in Google search and it hit in 2 seconds

From the home page I was able to access advertising for instruments (No Dealers Allowed) and generally browse -

I have also since done scans with MBAM / SUPERAntispyware / My Antivirus. and no problems are recorded anywhere ??

Try to access the site with Norton disabled (not renoved) as Norton may not like the site, and that may be your block ............... Posted Image

Beyond that, just try a few more times :mellow:

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Suggest you clean up your computer. Remove temporary files, logs, etc. If you need help doing that,
let us know which browser(s) you are using.

You can also use a program to clean the comp. If you use Firefox, suggest using BleachBit as it will vacuum Firefox.

If cleaning doesn't solve the problem, suggest deleting all cookies associated with that site and reinstall by visiting the site.

Clearing or flushing the DNS sometimes helps, too. How To Clear Windows 7 Cache

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I will get a thing that says can't connect, with a bunch of reasons,

I use Norton Internet Security

1) What are the reasons it gives?

2) Are you a Comcast customer? I know Comcast does provide service to your area. If you are do you have the Constant Guard Protection Suite (which includes NIS) that Comcast offers free to customers? If you say yes there is somewhere I want to go with this.

#7 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for your help guys, Nokno, somehow you got to the wrong website. I can tell by the Administrators info which suggests it was a TDPRI site, which is a guitar site for Paul Reed guitars. Did you google it? The url is www.thegearpage.net, Queen-Evie- I am a comcast customer, I checked their software for virus protection. It is called Constant
Guard,but it does not contain Norton Internet Security. I did check out a clean up program they had called CA, it cleaned out 4 areas,cookies, browser cache, and history. I downloaded it and tried it, it seems to be faster. It also cleaned out form fillouts, like passwords and stuff, I unchecked that one. Is that program safe? Their Norton is not even as good as anti-virus,that Norton offers. I checked their forums and people were really complaining alot about it. I really like NIS, it does a good job, They ,at least the Willow Grove Comcast, does not offer Norton NIS, just a generic Norton and the CA computer cleaner.
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

OK -
I think that this is the page that you are looking for / talking about ?? Their F/Book page may help you -
I just entered the WWW. thegearpage into my browser and hit ENTER -

Welcome to the The Gear Page.
Scott Peterson
Administrator
Official Facebook TGP Page
I set it up... finally.

https://www.facebook.com/TheGearPage

The Gear Page Lounge
A section for the "other stuff", like talking about recording, listening to soundclips, or just shooting the breeze. No political or religious topics
The Sound Hound Lounge
General discussion about anything related to music. Any love for Keith Urban?? by getrguy1 Today 04:23 AM 37,986 982,095
The Pub
NO posts about politics or religion allowed! Last comment wins by scr@tchy Today 04:17 AM 43,782 1,325,043
Recording/Live Sound
This area is about recording and Live Sound. Anyone try a Bose L1 as a... by Nelson89 Today 04:20 AM 11,560 122,419
Introductions
Introduce yourself to the rest of us! Hi! Hope to meet some nice... by samdjr74 Today 12:31 AM 4,333 44,754
Member Video and Sound Clips
A place to post links to your clips. A Go Go by gratay Yesterday 09:59 PM 13,835 120,271
Gig Alert
Post future gigs so that we know where to go.

Edited by noknojon, 29 December 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

Install Constant Guard® Protection Suite and get Norton™ Security!
Helps defend your computer against viruses, keeps your identity safe and proactively protects your bank account numbers online.

From the above statement, I think that you now know that Comcast Constant Guard is actually a direct Norton program -
Please read This Comcast Page for more details -

Thank You -

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

guit30, you haven't posted any of the various messages when you try to connect to the site.

Constant Guard Suite consists of several parts, each independent of each other.

The Norton portion is one of them. Another is Constant Guard which is NOT antivirus or firewall.

A Comcast customer can install one without the other. What I suggest is uninstall the Constant Guard. See if it helps. As you discoverd from the Comcast help forums it can cause problems.

My next question is do you have the site added to Constant Guard? If you do are you using Constant Guard to log into the site? Is the error a small box from Constant Guard or is it on the webpage?

If it is a Constant Guard popup, that is the problem.

The complaints you read were about the Constant Guard component, not Norton. The Comcast offered Norton is the same Norton you have to purchase.

If a customer had the Suite removing Constant Guard does NOT remove Norton.

Install Constant Guard® Protection Suite and get Norton™ Security!
Helps defend your computer against viruses, keeps your identity safe and proactively protects your bank account numbers online.

From the above statement, I think that you now know that Comcast Constant Guard is actually a direct Norton program -

The Constant Guard portion is not a Norton program. It is actually from White Sky, Inc. Comcast put the 2 together to form one protection suite.

Constant Guard

uses a series of solutions to secure online account passwords, provide one-click secure login to online accounts, secure storage of credit cards for online shopping

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/about-constant-guard-protection-suite/

You mentioned CA. That is included with the Xfinity toolbar. UNINSTALL the toolbar. It's flaky and can also cause issues which clear up when uninstalled. You will also have to uninstall CA which is listed in Add Remove programs.

CA is from Computer Associates and is safe to use as far as I know.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 December 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#11 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Queen Evie,
The other program that I downloaded from Comcast was called "Easy Solve", all it does is clean out your browser cache,cleans out cookies and was a very basic computer cleaner of unneeded junk. My computer has been faster since I used easy solve to clean out brwsing history and cookies. I did not see the Easy Solve on the link you sent me. I apologize, I did not mean CA, I meant ES for "Easy Solve", is this a safe program to use? The other part of Constant guard is on my Comcast page is a total Norton Program, it is a pared down program compared to Norton Internet Security, which is what I have.
Since I cleaned out my computer with ES, I have had no problem connecting to The gear page. So ,I have not been able to get the other statements which were on the cannot connect page from Windows.

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#12 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

Nokno,
Thanks for your help, you got the right page the second time. The tool from Comcast was on a different link, than Constant Guard which includes a Norton Program, and some other features like password help and other things. I found a program called "Easy Solve" that cleans out your browser cache, cleans your cookies out, that you could download from Comcast. I downloaded it and did all of the scans ,but one, It will also erase your remembered passwords and stuff, I kept that. WEll, it seemed to make a real difference, I have had no more problems with access to TheGearPage

Thanks,
Jim

PS-Comcast's Norton is called Norton Security, which seems to be a made for comcast product, Norton's cheapest program is Norton anti virus, I have the next one up Norton Internet Security which is different than Norton Security.
Thanks for all of your help

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Easy Solve is a safe program to use if you like it and want to keep it.

The blurb for Easy Solve states

EasySolve is a tool that will help you get the most from your XFINITY® Internet service. EasySolve provides automatic updates, do-it-yourself fixes, and service outage resolutions to give you a faster, smoother Internet experience

EasySolve uses the optimization scan to determine if your Internet experience is ideal and if not, it can help you to fix or solve your issues.

EasySolve ensures that you always receive the best possible service that Comcast provides. If, for any reason, you are not receiving the best Internet experience, simply run the optimization scan and let EasySolve determine if you have any issues.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/easysolve-overview/

I participated in the trial for Easy Solve. I was not impressed by it and neither was anyone else who participated in the trial.

Despite the name it solves nothing and is a glorified cache cleaner. It doesn't find or solve any problems.

Easy Solve won't tell you if you are having hardware or software or malware problems that could be affecting your internet.

It will want to "help" you if you are not connected to the internet. I also tested this "help".

The only way I could test it was by unplugging the wired connection my computer has to the router. My husband was using his computer in another room which is a wireless connection so I could not unplug the modem.

It told me to Check your Cables. I checked and gee whiz the cable was disconnected from the router, I plugged it back in. There was nothing that told me I was reconnected to the internet.

The next screen was Reset the Modem. There is no need to reset the modem if the problem was a simple of case of cables or power cord being disconnected or loose.

If you reset the modem and that doesn't work you are told to call Comcast.

Obviously if there is a service outage checking cables and resetting the modem won't work. If there is a Comcast network issue and your internet starts crawling slower than a turtle it won't be able to help you.

Easy Solve assumes something is wrong on YOUR end of things when that may not be the case.

As I stated above, Constant Guard consists of 2 components-Constant Guard by White Sky,inc. and Norton. Norton did not develop Constant Guard.

As for the Norton included in the suite it is not a watered down version. It is actually Norton 360 branded for Comcast. Norton 360 is labeled by Norton as Our ultimate protection while NIS is Advanced protection.

I'm not trying to get you to change your mind and use the Comcast offered Norton. All I am doing is letting you know that it is substandard.

FWIW, I don't use it. Eset Smart Security is what I have.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 December 2012 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users