Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive filling up can't save anti virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dawg75

dawg75

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Had this problem about 2 weeks and can't get it figured out. My hard drive keeps filling up to 0kb available even after I have deleted 10 gig of files. I have ran malware bytes and it found a trojan and adware files that I removed. I downloaded AVG, but it will not run except in safe mode. I ran the scan last night and it came back with a Luhe.Sirefefe.A virus, but gave an error message and could not remove. I am at a loss on waht to do, since the hard drive keeps maxxing out after I delete files I can't download anything to help get rid of the problem. This machine has Vista OS. Any suggestions and thanks for the help.

Edited by dawg75, 25 December 2012 - 10:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dawg75

dawg75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Well I finally got AVG to run in safe mode and got it successfully healed the LUHE virus. I am still getting redirected when trying to go to a webpage though. Also my HD is still filling up.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

What size hard drive do you have? Is it partioned, if so please let us know the partition sizes!
Maybe the smallest partition keeps filling up but you still have a larger partition available?
--- When you say "have deleted 10 gig of files", it can be very easy for the hard drive to fill back up depending on what's going on
I can only stab at where to start at this point but consider the following "unconventional" ideas (They have helped me more tham once when helping my friends even the ones with Vista)
--- Disconnect the ethernet cable from your pc to minimize uneccessary or unwanted programs from calling home that might be part of the problem
--- Go into Control Panel, select Internet Options and delete your browsing history
--- Go into startups and uncheck everything except your anti-virus program & anything else that isn't absolutely necessary for your computer to start up ok
--- Restart the computer
--- Run Error Checking
--- Run your Defragmenation program
--- Shut the computer down. Reconnect the ethernet cable. Start the computer back up
--- Check the status of your hard drive and note how much space is available on each partition if you have more than one partition
--- Update & run your anti-virus program
--- Let us know the results. (If an infection(s) is/are still issue(s), let us know the actual names
--- Someone else with more expertise than me can certainly home in to what needs to be done
--- If you still have redirect issues, let us know what your home page is supposed to be and what page you are being redirected to

#4 dawg75

dawg75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Well since the last post I think I have gotten a few things fixed. I ran CCleaner and that cleared up space for me and fixed some registry issues. I also ran tdsskiller and that found 2 rootkit issues and got them fixed. I am not having the redirection issues now.

My HD is not partitioned it is 190Gig, I am in the process of running TreeSize now to see if I can find where all of the data is. I have a back up drive that I am going to move some music and pictures too and see if that helps now that I can move around without issue. I will let you know if I run across anymore issues or resolve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users