Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Data With External Hard Disk.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 padraigl

padraigl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hi

I am about to purchase an external hard disk to backup all my data (mp3ís, photos etc..) I have been using CDís with a drop and drag policy.

Reading through this forum (excellent I may add) I have realized that I can backup everything on my hard disk to the new external hard disk. This is a great idea.

I have an Inspiron 510m with windows XP SP2. The laptop came with SP1 and I uploaded SP2 from the Microsoft site. This took a while as I have only dial up. I also have MS Office 2003 which I have downloaded patches as they become available from Microsoft. I also have antivirus, firewalls software.

Just a few questions if I may;

1. If I use the external hard drive as a backup of everything on my internal drive, and my internal hard drive goes up in smoke, will the external hard drive work as my primary boot up drive?
2. By having both hard drives as images of one another, will there be conflict on startup?
3. I do not want to spend hours installing software, music, photos etc if the laptops hard drive suddenly gives up. So am I on the right track by backing everything to an external hard drive using the XP backup facility.

As you probably can tell I am a little green about this sort of thing. But all I am trying to do is make life a little easier.

Thanks in advance
Regards
PadraigL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

Hi padraigl.
I'm just going to assume you're talking about an external usb drive?
Unless your system supports booting to a usb device, then no, you won't be able to boot from it.
Enter cmos setup (bios) and go to the boot section to see if usb is in the list of supported boot devices.
It's possible the info may be in your manual as well.
I have a somewhat older IBM laptop that can't boot from a usb device.
I use an external 2.5 drive enclosure that contains another drive compatable with my current notebook.
If my old drive pukes, I just take the backup drive out of caddy and stick it in my laptop.
5 Minutes and I'm on the new drive.
Backup software is a matter of preference. I don't trust the MS backup utilty as I have seen problems with it.
I prefer Acronis or an older version of Ghost.
In any case, glad to see you take backup seriously, too many people don't. :thumbsup:

#3 padraigl

padraigl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi HitSquad

Yes I am talking about a USB hard drive. How do I "Enter cmos setup (bios)" I would not be farmiliar with this.

Regards
Regards
PadraigL

#4 padraigl

padraigl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:44 AM

Bought a 250GB external hard drive in Aldi for Ä149. I am using the backup software that comes with XP. It works a treat.
Regards
PadraigL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users