Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

program from external hdd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mjosmadness

mjosmadness

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hey guys, I have a hdd from a desktop that I dont use anymore. The hdd has programs on it that I would like to use on my new laptop. I set the hdd up as an external hdd but I can only open files, I cannot run programs from it. The searching that I did gave me the impression that I should be able to open and run the programs. When I try to run the program I get prompted to inter my license id and password. Is there a way to just run the program from the external hdd?

thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

What programs? Usually, this softwares are needed to be reinstalled to your system or by the internal drive for them to function. http://ask-leo.com/can_i_install_programs_on_an_external_drive.html

Tekken

#3 mjosmadness

mjosmadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

the program is called 123 copy dvd. It is a great program. I use it to put movies on my kindle for my daughter. I was given authorization for three computers with the purchase of the computer. I used them all but the problem is, my wife's laptop is useless, can't use the program; my laptop is too small, runs too slow, can't use the program; my desktop was built by the Flintstones so I would like to run the program on the new, shiny, multi core, super duper, nicest puter I've ever had, computer. I was hoping to use the hdd from the desktop as an external and just run the programs form it through the new computer.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

You need to reinstall the software from the disc to your new laptop to be able to use it again. The external drive would now become your backup and or data drive.

Tekken

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Only programs installed on the Windows version that is booted into...can be run. If programs are not installed on that version of Windows...they are viewed as merely data files, incapable of functioning as executables.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users