Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building Computer, need help ASAP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aastalel

Aastalel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hey guys,
I probably won't get much help today because it's Christmas.

I decided to build my own computer. I was told that it would not be a problem for me to use the hard drive from my old computer, but when I boot up, I keep ketting bootmgr errors.

I've never built a computer but I'm pretty sure I did everything right. Is this because I need to get a new hard drive and OS with my new Motherboard? Is there a way I can make it work? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 damando

damando

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Well when you built your new computer did you try to use an old hard drive from another computer ? If you did that was fine but you need also purchase a new operating system and do at least a quick format and then install the new operating system. I have built six computers for my step children so I could probably aswer any questions you may have.

#3 Citruszinus

Citruszinus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

pretty sure that is not correct, you shouldn't need to purchase a new OS if one was previously installed on it.

#4 damando

damando

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

"(I decided to build my own computer. I was told that it would not be a problem for me to use the hard drive from my old computer, but when I boot up, I keep ketting bootmgr errors.
I've never built a computer but I'm pretty sure I did everything right. Is this because I need to get a new hard drive and OS with my new Motherboard? Is there a way I can make it work? Thanks.)"

If you are talking about cloning your hard drive then yes you can clone it "BUT" what you are doing is making an exact copy of your old operating system and trying to make it work on a "new computer". Chances are it will not work cause you will no doubt get a slew of errors including but not limited to no boot up. I am not an expert but google cloning your operating system . Each OS is specific to the mobo that it is written on. In other words even if you built two computers with exactly the same specs it still may not work cause both motherboards will have a different serial number corresponding to the os. I am also thinking you are talking about a windows based system and not Linux. Linux is open sourced ( you do not need to pay for it as with Microsoft you would).

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

"I was told that it would not be a problem for me to use the hard drive from my old computer"

Technically...that's correct. You CAN use the old hard drive...but you cannot use the Windows which lies on the old hard drive.

The old install has drivers and settings on it...that relate to System A. When you move that hard drive to System B, you have a mismatch of drivers/settings and you may have a violation of the license agreement for your old install. If the old system was put together by an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.), that license applies ONLY to the specific OEM system on which it was installed...it cannot be moved to another system, whether built by you or purchased.

The hard drive itself is one factor and it can be reused...the contents of the hard drive are another item and cannot be moved to another system where the hardware is not identical to that of the former system.

Louis

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

If the computer is booting to that point, chances are you installed the hardware correctly, but there is, like Louis said, a conflict with the OS. Reinstalling Windows is required which brings up another issue: Licensing.

Microsoft loves their Byzantine licensing. If you are using a copy of Windows from an OEM, like Dell, HP, or Sony, you cannot reuse it again with a different motherboard. The OEM license designates the motherboard as the PC and is not transferrable to another PC, so, new motherboard, new PC. Note, there is nothing technically preventing you from reinstalling the OEM version of Windows, just the license. You can also do a clean upgrade install on that drive from Windows 7 to 8 if you want. Full, boxed, retail versions of Windows may be moved from one PC to another but they will most likely require a telephone activation.

3939.png

#7 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Does the old hard drive have a previous OS? If so, it might be causing a conflict when used on your new computer. Try to remove the OS from the old HDD and attach HDD clean of OS and install one when you boot your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users