Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General wireless network connection

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Equipment - XP Pro(SP3)computer hardwired to the LAN side of a Wireless router configured for WDS.

Please can someone tell me if in theory it is possible to connect to a wireless hotspot(Wireless ISP)if, following a wireless scan using a telnet session on through a WDS configured wireless router, I can see the hotspot's SSID's; assuming that is, I have all the necessary security authentications etc.

In other words if, from the LAN side of a wireless router I can see the SSIDs of WAN side devices could I connect to them. I know there is a whole bunch of settings and protocols to get in the way but I'm just trying to find out in principle before I start chasing a red herring.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Your router would need to be able to Wireless Bridge. Scanning for wireless networks and documenting their existence is not illegal. Once you attempt to bypass authentication or trasmit ANY data over said network without explicit permission it becomes a crime.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the reply Sneakycyber,

There's nothing iffy about what I am asking, in that, if I am able to connect it would only be legally, I have the necessary authorities. The ISP technical support can't or won't give me the info required but they can sell me a device to use.

Amongst other devices I have a couple of Cisco AP 1232AG wireless access points but so far I've had no luck connecting them. It would appear the WAPs need to be configured in 'Universal Network Bridge' mode, Some Cisco information suggests it should be possible with the AP1321AGs but other information states the AP1200 (series?)does not support the mode. Perhaps you could put me right if i'm wrong.

Your lionk points to the ddWRT site which I have looked at before. Can you tell me if there is version of ddWRT or OpenWRT that will run on the AP1232AGs. I've looked but can't find anything.

Edited by duffsparky, 27 December 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of any wrong doing B) . What is the Model of your router?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 December 2012 - 10:05 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of any wrong doing B) . What is the Model of your router?

I didn't take offence to what you posted but I appreciate that some well knowledgeable people take a dim view of passing on info that is subsequently used illegally.

Apart from the 2 Cisco WAPs mentioned before I have the following wireless routers:-

Dlink DSL-G624M
Linksys WRT120N
Homehub version 2a (unlocked)
Homehub version 2b (still locked)
Talk Talk (Philips) SNA5630NS/05 (loaded with SNA6500 firmware)

I also have several wireless client adapters but, although they will connect to the WISP, they do not suit my needs because they can not be used to pass-on the connection without the use of a PC/laptop.

Edited by duffsparky, 27 December 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

NOW I got it WISP was the key word. none of your current hardware supports OpenWrt firmware. Do you want the WISP connection rebroadcast wirelessly or do you want to connect your lan to the WISP?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

NOW I got it WISP was the key word. none of your current hardware supports OpenWrt firmware. Do you want the WISP connection rebroadcast wirelessly or do you want to connect your lan to the WISP?

I want to connect the WISP device, a reconfigured router or whatever, to a single laptop. The 2 devices will be physically seperated by both height and distance, connection can be either wireless or wired but the former would be preferred.

I forgot to include a Buffallo WBR-54G to my list of hardware available which is supported by ddWRT. I've still to determine which version and release is suitable.

Many thanks,

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Why don't you just use the wireless on the Laptop? How far is the Transmitter?
Your Router Wiki The PEACOCK thread Make sure you read them BOTH.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Why don't you just use the wireless on the Laptop? How far is the Transmitter?
Your Router Wiki The PEACOCK thread Make sure you read them BOTH.

The lappy needs to be on the ground floor of a building whereas the best and only useable reception is on the first floor and higher. Distance is about 20 feet (up 8 plus 12 across)

I've read both the threads your links point to but thanks anyway.

Happy New Year.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Your router will " Use only dd-wrt v24 SP1 final or v23 SP2 final" Flashing instructions As you read in the peacock thread if you get it wrong at best your left with factory firmware at worst you have a paperweight. If you get DD-WRT to flashHere are the instructions on bridging.

With an 802.11 g router you may not get the reception you need.. Take a look at the. Advanced wireless settings and adding an external antennae.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 January 2013 - 03:23 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#11 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Sorry been away for a while.

I got dd-WRT v23 working on the Buffalo WBR-G54. In fact it gave me what I wanted straight out of the box, I didn't have to configure anything to connect to the WISP - I was totally amazed.

However, trying to be a smart ar*e, I managed to brick the router by upgrading to v24, which required configuring, then trying to downgrade back to v23. I now have a situation where the cfe file on the router is corrupt and jtagging a new one doesn't work because it always corrupts during the transfer. It would appear that the flash chip has a problem at one or more addresses; I possibly killed it with poor anti-static precautions.

So back to square one unless someone knows how to test/check the flash chip (Micron/ST 29W320DT)

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

That stinks, We learn from our mistakes though wink.png . If you sucessfully Sent Jtag signals to the flash chip you have gone farther then me on recovering a bricked router. I have the serial connections on most of my routers but never did a Jtag recovery. You could try a new Flash chip, and use a product like Chip Quick to replace it.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 18 February 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Sending the data to the flash chip doesn't seem to be the problem. The issue I'm having is that the data on the flash chip (after programming)  is fine if I just program the first 4% or so but if I program farther than that it corrupts and this corrution always occurs at the same place (address). I have now replaced the flash chip (well a friend did) but the problem is still the same, so unless I can find someone with jtag programming/ jtag electrical troubleshooting experience I'm probably stuffed. I shan't give up completely though and will continue trying to find the answer as and when the opportunity arises.

My next project is to install dd-WRT onto a d-Link DIR615 then replace its aerials for high gain ones. hee! hee!

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

That process is how i learned to recover pc bios chips. A few "dead" laptops that were left for parts so i dove in into see what may be wrong and if it was something i hadnt seen befoe. A month or two later and several all nighters on web searches got the information i needed. I have a few new computers that were declared "dead" by their owners and left for research. 2 laptops waiting for a moment of clarity or a miracle and another that the owner is praying turns back on.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users