Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Citruszinus

Citruszinus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'm wanting to custom build a PC for my brother, I'm planning on salvaging the keyboard, mouse, speakers, operating system and hard drive from his prior computer. (Not sure if I want to get a new monitor or not.)

My max budget is 800 with those parts excluded of course. I was thinking about getting him a GTX 460 graphics card as that is waht I use and I have had close to no problems running any game, plus it's older and cheap, what are your thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

You will probably need to get a new OS as you are swapping out the motherboard and Microsoft licensing treats the motherboard as a new PC. OEM versions are tied to one PC, or motherboard, while full, boxed, retail copies can be moved from one PC to another. Here's an idea...

Case: Antec Three Hundred - A simple case, great for most GPU's. If you think you will be using more than one card, you should get a full ATX case for better cooling. $59

Motherboard; ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 - This motherboard is designed for AM3+ CPU's and can handle multiple GPU's from either AMD or Nvidia. $179

GPU: HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition - The GTX 460 is rather old with non-refurbished models being somewhat difficult to find. The 7770 is about the same price with similar performance. $114

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W - This should be plenty of power. $69

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz - Not the fastest AMD offers, but it is still good enough for the vast majority of games. $139

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This is a single stick of 8GB DDR3-1333 RAM. $32

HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD7500AZEX 750GB - Plenty of space. $84

ODD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - A standard drive. $20

OS: Windows 8 64-bit - It isn't bad. The under-the-hood improvements make it worth considering. As a desktop user, I largely ignore the new Start screen. $99

Grand Total: $802

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users