Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Home Network Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cr3w66

cr3w66

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

Hi all,

I have a problem... I have T-mobile wireless interent in which I use a PC card. I would like to know if it's possible to link this connection through a router without using usb, ethernet, ect - no wires. So that my other computer and printer can share in the network and none of them be tethered together.
My 2nd question, if anyone can help, is how well does broadband phone service work through this type of internet connection?
Thanks for any help or suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:03 AM

I have a problem... I have T-mobile wireless interent in which I use a PC card. I would like to know if it's possible to link this connection through a router without using usb, ethernet, ect - no wires. So that my other computer and printer can share in the network and none of them be tethered together.

If you are referring to connection the modem to the router wirelessly, I believe the answer is no. I do not see the benefit of doing so. If you are referring to connecting a cellular telphone to a router I would have to say not. What exact connection are you trying to connect to the router?
What you can do is connect a ADSL, Cable, ISDN, T-1, Frame Relay, to a wireless router and have a wireless connection to the computers, NAS, print server over a wireless LAN.

My 2nd question, if anyone can help, is how well does broadband phone service work through this type of internet connection?
Thanks for any help or suggestions!

When you say thru the teleco service, I assume you mean ADSL over telphone wire? If that is offered to you, and you can afford it, jump at the chance. You will not believe how much more fun you will have over dialup. I prefer Cable because I had it before ADSL was available ('97). But you will not be disappointed with ADSL. If you only have one computer and are on a budget, ask your ISP if they offer DSL Lite (256kb/128kb). It is usually around $30 vs $45 to $65 for higher bandwigth DSL (2.5mb\256kb).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Is your wireless connection accomplished on a cellular phone type service?
T Mobile is a cellular provider here where I live. They also provide "hotspots" in places like coffee shops and bookstores.

Do you have something similar to what is described here?
http://www.chat11.com/Comparison_Of_TMobil...nternet_Service

Voip phones work well with broadband connections.
I have Vonage and like it really well, but I also have a 10mbps cable broadband connection.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 March 2006 - 04:31 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:10 AM

Enthusiast is right about VoIP. It is reliable (reliable as your HSI connection) and a good value for the money. It works on the low end HSI also very well. My mother has Cox Broadband 256kb/256kb and VoIP and the telephone works great. It should work equally as well with your DSL or even your wireless hotspot, if that s what you have.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users