Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

memory loss

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gvan

gvan

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Recently I have noticed that my memory available or free has seemed to go down and the cached memory has increased to the point of 8mb going to almost zero. I have deleted my history and cache and it seems to help but I am concerned because I haven't noticed the loss until recently. Primarily it seems when I run the AVG 2013 virus pgm (free) that the time was excessive. I had been running the program during the night, or early morning, but recently I have seen the "free" memory has been almost depleted. No other problems seen evident.
I am running a PackardBell model 6140, w/8Gb mem, using Win 7.
Just curious about this. Thanks for comments.

Edited by hamluis, 26 December 2012 - 09:09 AM.
Corrected RAM amount - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 gvan

gvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/V3P10p1JWabnTd0RYOwCZVX

#4 gvan

gvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Wow, what in the world is all of that stuff? It just blows my mind. I made myself a copy of it all and am trying to make some sense of it. I have never seen anything like this before. If this can solve my problem then more power to it, but WOW again. I am 77 yrs old and not computer literate, as you can imagine but this just boggles me completely. Thanks if you can figure something out from all of this.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

AVG is known to be a resource hog antivirus but having an 8 gig RAM would not affect your system stability IMO. Cache, page file, swap file helps maintain the load speed and retrieval of information from your computer's RAM and hard disk. I would not worry much if you are not having or experiencing lagging problems.
http://www.techterms.com/definition/cache

Tekken

#6 gvan

gvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Thank you for that info. What is happening is that my task manager is reflecting as low as "0" zero free memory after/or while running the AVG. I just recently noticed it, and was concerned about it. Otherwise, as you said the computer seems to be OK. Thanks again for you input.
van

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

Just let Windows automatically manage your paging file which is usually configured by default. Some queries about paging file http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001293.htm

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users