Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing OEM clutter from XP install CD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi All and Season's Greetings.

I have 2 issues that I need help with if possible:

• the first has only just happened - My computer on my PC no longer displays the name/title of CD's placed in either the CD rewriter or DVD rewriter, though the size of 'Used Space' & 'Free Space is shown and I can access the data on the disk(s)(genuine WinXPPro). The disk properties also no longer displays disk name/title. This has only occurred since creating ISO files as decribed in the second of my issues, see below. I think there may also be a problem with the Used space shown in My Computer because it shows the WINXPSP1A_US CD used space to be 573Mb but when extracted to a folder it is only 368Mb, I understand that some of the files on the disk are hidden when extracted but 200+Mb worth?
  • Does anyone know how to strip out the OEM clutter from an XP Pro(SP1a) install CD (genuine WINXPSP1A_US (HP part no. 344284-001) for which I still have the original machine and licence)?

The reason is, I want to create an XP Pro install CD slipstreamed with SP3 that will fit onto a CD (preferably unbranded). I have tried several times to create an ISO file using Autostreamer and nLite but it always turns out to be 900+ meg and is, therefore, too big. The original install disk shows up as 573Mb and the downloaded SP3 upgrade (WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe) as 316Mb (324Mb extracted, which adds up to less than 900Mb (the latest SP3 CD from MS is 546Mb); plus the original disk includes SP1a which I understood would be overwritten by SP3 because SP3 incorporates all earlier service packs. A genuine MS XPPro with SP3(retail) is just under 600Mb. I figure there is 200 to 300+ Mb of unnecessary clutter in the ISO's, although some of that will be for HP hardware, albeit outdated . As a point of interest my original HP disk does not appear to be locked to any specific hardware or manufacturer branded.

I know I can use nLite to strip out unwanted stuff before creating the ISO but first you need to know what to strip out.

Does anyone know what type of disk a WINXPSP1A_US is, namely OEM, VLK etc etc?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

<<Does anyone know how to strip out the OEM clutter from an XP Pro(SP1a) install CD (genuine WINXPSP1A_US (HP part no. 344284-001) for which I still have the original machine and licence)?>>

That install disk and the license...are permanently attached to the system which HP sold you. That disk is (probably) not equal to a MS Genuine XP disk, such as sold at retail. The only reason that I say probably...rather than "certainly"...is that I have no way of knowing when said CD was issued, without knowing the system to which it is linked.

HP prepared the contents of that disk and Any attempt to modify said disk...may not necessarily result in positive results. Slipstreaming efforts are generally not designed to work with OEM (HP, Lenovo, etc.) disks, only with MS Genuine XP disks sold to system builders (like myself) or sold as retail versions of XP.

Techically...any ability to create an "install CD" from the HP disk...and reuse the license...would be a violation of the MS EULA and probably the HP EULA/Terms Of Service...IMO.

Louis

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand your reasoning but I have used the WINXPSP1A_US CD in the past and slipstreamed SP2 to make a working copy of XPPro(SP2) so I know at least that works. I did this after HP said they could not provide me with replacement installation CD's that contained service packs above those that were sold with the machine and if I want an integrated SP2 CD, I would have to get it done myself. They subsequently sent me 3 sets of the original disks in 3 seperate envelopes!!!

With regards to breaking licences - Microsoft publish details on the web regarding slipstreaming, so I would imagine they are not to bothered by it especially as I believe my CD is a Distribution Share.

The machine is an HP xw6000 which was bought second-hand from a user company that were updating to completely new systems with new licences. I checked at the time whether the os provided, which came with the COA would be legal and was told yes, this has subsequently been confirmed by MS.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

This tool is / was the best one I have found for optional removal of Pre-installed OEM garbage -
Latest version is listed below, so please read all the Info and details first -

The PC Decrapifier 2.2.5 > List > Info > Tool

Regards -

#5 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

This tool is / was the best one I have found for optional removal of Pre-installed OEM garbage -

Regards -

G'day noknojon,

Thanks for the info,

I'll give it a go, though at first look it seems to be for decluttering after installation rather than before.

By the way your first link (to list) doesn't work properly or there's a site problem.

:thumbup2:

#6 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Regards -

G'day noknojon,

Thanks for the info,

I'll give it a go, though at first look it seems to be for decluttering after installation rather than before.

By the way your first link (to list) doesn't work properly or there's a site problem.

:thumbup2:

Bit of a problem with the decrapifier - after running it I tried to uninstall it but could not find the program in the XP uninstall feature, so I did a search and got very odd results. Search found 760+ entries before I stopped it, however, on closer looking the entries consist of the same 8 items repeated in the same locations over and over again

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi duffsparky -
This program, and some similar ones are designed to help you remove some OEM Pre-installed items.
I doubt if one exists to "clean an install CD", only to clear up OEM or M/soft extras after you install

I have checked the "List" item and have asked Shane, the tool developer, if this is faulty at the moment -

#8 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hi noknojon,

Any thoughts on the XP search displaying multiple instances of the same 8 entries. I have a feeling that the search would have kept going and going if I had not stopped it.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi -
Sorry, but as in my previous post, I am in talks with the program developer to see if there is a current fault with the application.

It is not mine, but I have used the same (earlier version) program when installing several XP and Windows7 computers.
All of these times it has been good at removal of Preinstalled (CD included) items. I have not used it for about 3 months, and it has been altered -

Microsoft have agreements with some companies to preinstall software that is not always needed, but this program usually clears it -

I can only post if Shane Gowland or Fred deVries return my questions -

Thank You -

#10 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

OK noknojon,

Many thanks.