Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A strange wireless internet problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ack1234

ack1234

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

My family has been having a strange problem with our home network. We have found that we can connect to our Trendnet router for more than a few minutes at a time (on laptops and desktops with wireless cards) before the connection is dropped. The router is always well within range (always displaying 5/5 available bars), but is only sometimes connectable. Sometimes computers will be completely disconnected from the router, while other times it will simply say the network has limited connectivity.

Initially, I suspected this was a router issue. I figured that there might be a configuration proble with the router. So I reset (by unplugging the power) the Trendnet router to its default settings. I left it on its most basic settings: no encryption to access the router... dynamically assigned ip addresses... etc
This did not solve the problem. The disconnecting still occured.

Then I suspected it might be a hardware problem with the router, though it was only a year old. To check this, I bought a brand new Amped Wireless router from Micro Center. I configured this router to its most basic settings, as with the previous router. The second router still had the disconnect problem. Like the old router, we could establish a connection for a very brief period of time before the router would drop the connection entirely. Unlike the old router however, once it dropped the connection, we couldn't connect to it again. In order to connect to the internet, we have to reset the router (again, by unplugging the power). Resettting the router only temporarily fixes the problemm. Like I said before, we only get a few minutes of wireless internet upon each reset.

I think this establishes that it IS NOT a router problem.

Now then... still something seems strange to me. With both routers, I am able to establish a reliable internet connection by plugging an ethernet cable into one of the 4 available ethernet ports. When using an ethernet cable, there are no problems. I do realize that this is a physical switch that basically eliminates the router from the network configuration, but it's strange because the router is clearly NOT the problem. I would have assumed that plugging directly into the modem would give me similar connection problems, but this is not the case.

Summary of above: I can connect to the internet reliably via physical link between my laptop and the modem, as well as my laptop and BOTH routers.

Last bits of info about my network:
ISP: Time Warner Cable (cincinnati area)
-we have a business class internet connection, easily getting 30 Mb/s down, and 6 Mb/s up
Modem: Brand new Arres model... (this can operate wirelessly, though that option is disabled)
Routers: Trendnet TEW-639GR ... Amped Wireless R10000

wireless devices:
1. Dell Laptops
2. Iphones
3. Ipad
4. Dell XPS desktop computer

FINAL BIT OF INFORMATION: (perhaps an important clue that might help solve the problem)
========================================================================================
With the Trendnet router plugged in, the apple devices were almost ALWAYS able to establish a connection to the internet. Though the connection to the internet was inconsistent and slow-loading at best, it would maintain this connection. The windows devices (DELL computers) would all disconnect or display limited connectivity, and would not be able to download any webpage. WITH ONE EXCEPTION: we were almost always able to make a google search.

I also bought new ethernet cables to ensure it wasn't a physical layer issue...

Does anyone have an idea as to how I might diagnose and fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ack1234

ack1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

If you want or need any more information about my home network, let me know. I can draw a diagram of my home network, if necessary.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

sorry missed your topic. 1st your business class modem is a router as well correct? it should be unless its different in Cincinnati (your in the Woh region same as my Networks) is the router in Bridge mode? Plug directly into the Timewarner Modem and go to whatismyip.com your Ip should be in the 98.30.x.x range. Next please download MiniToolbox and post the log in a reply.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 December 2012 - 11:47 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 ack1234

ack1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Yes, my business class modem is also a router. It is currently in bridge mode. My Ip address is not in the same range though. I have downloaded MiniToolbox.

IP ADDRESS: 174.101.223.159

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Your business class modem that is acting as a router is not in [s[]b]bridge[/b] mode if it is assigning IP addresses. In order for it to be in bridge mode it would only provide your static IP to the LAN interface. Then you would need to connect ah Router or Server to Eastablish NAT[/s]. IF that is your IP address inside then either you have an inside global address or.your behind Nat.Can you post the Minitoolbox log or PM it to ME? If your modem is provding NAT and your wireless router providing NAT your connection can/will get dropped as packets start to lag . If you go to Whatismyip.com it will show your outside global ip. If its the same as your pc ip address your not behind NAT.

EDITED: Thanks to my ciscio ASA/Ios configuration manuals.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 30 December 2012 - 11:08 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

To initiate bridge mode and turn off NAT on an Arris cable modem, open a browser and type 192.168.0.1 <enter>. Use the login Username: Admin or admin , Password: password (Both case sensitive). Once logged in, go to Lan setup and look for the NAT section and select " Bridge mode".

Note: If you have a firewall implemented on your own personal wireless router, also disable the firewall in the cable modem while you are logged into it. Also double check that SSID broadcast is actually turned off as well.

At this point all NAT and Wifi will be controlled by your router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users