Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Curse of XP Defender!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Catherine68

Catherine68

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hello everyone - and a very Merry Christmas!

This year Santa brought me an extra-special "gift" in the form of XP Defender, which just popped up on my PC this morning and has effectively blocked me from doing anything. A Google search led me to your site, and for the past hour I have been trying - in vain - to install RKill via one of the links you have provided. So far, the four versions of the program that I have downloaded (rkill.com, .exe, .scr and uSeRiNiT) have all failed to run... When I click on "Run", the PC reboots before RKill can start up... and so I'm back to square 1 again. I will keep trying to download the other renamed versions of RKill, but in the meantime - would anyone have any suggestions???

My operating system is Windows XP Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647: Service Pack 3.

In passing, I also tried running Spotmau Power Suite 2011 in safe mode, and it rates my PC's health at 95% (?!?!). I guess the malware is "invisible" in Safe Mode, or...?

Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 damando

damando

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Have you tried "Reboot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-xp-defender

Edited by damando, 25 December 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#3 Catherine68

Catherine68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Yes, all of the above-mentioned attempts were done in "Safe Mode with Networking"... RKill won't run, the computer automatically reboots and I would appear to be royally stuck!!!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

You have tried all the alteranaes for rkill?
rom here...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

RKill.com Download Link
RKill.exe Download Link
RKill.scr Download Link
eXplorer.exe Download Link - This renamed copy may trigger an alert from MBAM. It can be ignored and is safe.
iExplore.exe Download Link
uSeRiNiT.exe Download Link
WiNlOgOn.exe Download Link
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Catherine68

Catherine68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yes, I've tried them all, they all crash... What to do?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

OK,I will have another look here. You wil need access to another PC and a Flash or CD drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Catherine68

Catherine68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for your time and input! Currently, in addition to my "sick" PC tower, I have a functional PC laptop and a MacBook Pro, as well as plenty of flash drives of various dimensions.

#8 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hello and sorry for the delay.

If you still need assistance. Please try the below while in Safe Mode with Networking.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit Posted Image and save it to your desktop.
  • Be sure to print out and follow these instructions for performing a scan.
  • Caution: This is a beta version so also read the disclaimer and back up all your data before using.
  • When the scan completes, click on the Cleanup button to remove any threats found and reboot the computer if prompted to do so.
  • Perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain. If they do, then click Cleanup once more and repeat the process.
  • If there are problems with Internet access, Windows Update, Windows Firewall or other system issues, run the fixdamage tool located in the folder Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit was run from and reboot your computer.
  • Two files (mbar-log-YYYY-MM-DD, system-log.txt) will be created and saved within that same folder.
  • Copy and paste the contents of these two log files in your next reply.
Note: Further documentation on this tool can be found in the ReadMe.rtf file which is located in the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (mbar) folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users