Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vcmain & Vcclient

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bretton_Boy

Bretton_Boy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:33 PM

I've been called to an XP machine which won't connect to the Internet and has the dreaded VCmain.exe error on boot up. (actually I didn't know that VCmain.exe was dreaded until I found you guys thru Google).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have printed off How to remove Surfsidekick and Vcclient and toddled off to fix the offending PC.

There is no sign of Surfsidekick in the registry or in folders but VCmain & VCclient are in the registry & programs/common files.

Question: do I follow the full instruction & apply Fixssk.reg or just Fix the registry entry for VCmain & VCclient via HijackThis.

n.b. The internet connection (broadband) is working because Outlook works and I can ping internet addresses via the MSDOS prompt.

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hi Keith

My recommendation would be to follow the full instructions no harm can be done in doing so. It is very often seen that VCclient comes with SurfSideKick, so although you may not think its present, there may be leftovers in the registry.

David

#3 Bretton_Boy

Bretton_Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hi Keith

My recommendation would be to follow the full instructions no harm can be done in doing so. It is very often seen that VCclient comes with SurfSideKick, so although you may not think its present, there may be leftovers in the registry.

David

Thanks Dave,

I'll give it a wirl!

Keith

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:45 AM

Good luck!
David

#5 Bretton_Boy

Bretton_Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Dave,

Problem resolved, Internet access now works.

Keith

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:09 AM

Great! Glad it all worked out!
David :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users