Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Removed viruses and now can not boot up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#1 flywelder

flywelder

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I hope I am posting in the correct spot, forgive me if I am not and please advise where I should post this request for help. thank you. I'm using my wife's computer at the moment to type this.

So my main personal computer that uses XP pro version 2002 and is a 32 bit system..... won't boot fully, after I removed some viruses, discovered by Super Anti spyware

I was using Malewarebytes and frequent scans could not find any viruses, Although All was fine, yet I thought it best to install an additional program to watch for viruses and further protect me where Malware bytes is week ( i don't know where that is, but malwarebytes web site says there are areas) so i installed and ran super anti spyware.
The scan ran and came back with finding viruses and I informed me I would need to reboot to completely remove them. So I rebooted. Now the computer will not fully boot up.!!!

In every attempt, my computer sees the main and slave hard drives and the CD rom and begins to boot but goes to a page where I am asked how I want to start :
either in safe mode or safe mode with networking or start windows normally, or enable boot logging; enable VGA Mode; Debugging mode; Disable auto restart on system failure; Reboot; Return to OS Choices menu; or Last known good configuration.

For a week now, on my own,
I have attempted to start using all the above except for : VGA Mode; Debugging mode; and Disable auto restart on system failure
every time the result is the same, with the boot up stopping at this line that includes the following:
multi disc partion(1)Windowssystem32DriversMup.sys

Then with in seconds the computer returns to the exact same point of starting the boot up process where it looks for the hard drive and CDROM and stuff,? the whole process repeats, never going any further! ???*~X( at wits' end

Now I can get to the bios set up utility. and the boot sequence is :
1st) CD ROM
2nd) floppy
3rd) Hard drive

I even loaded the emergency rescue disc and booted up with that disc installed, the CD ROM spins and the whole process that I explained above begins and repeats and never goes any further than what I described above! so I make no head way! ...bizarre! and frustrating! I'm at my wits' end

So I am not able to boot up into any safe mode or normal windows or see my desk top ... Will you ex-plane in laymen terms, why ? ...I'm very worried.
And how do I begin to repair and get back to normal?

I didn't have a back up system installed yet, my wife and I were going to do that this weekend with the back up hard drive we just bought!
I greatly appreciate your help !
Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Greetings flywelder and :welcome: to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.

If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.

===================================================

Ground Rules:

• First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. :)
  • Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.
  • Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.
  • Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me about it.
  • When you post your reply, do not use the Posted Image button but use the Posted Image button instead.
  • In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the Posted Image button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.
  • If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.
  • When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.
  • I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.
  • Now let's get started

Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.

Thank you for your patience thus far. I appreciate the detailed explanation of the symptoms and your efforts thus far.

So I am not able to boot up into any safe mode or normal windows or see my desk top ... Will you ex-plane in laymen terms, why ? ...I'm very worried.

Until we start gathering some information it is difficult to tell you precisely what is causing your problems. I suspect there is a corrupted file which is sort of short circuiting the boot up process and preventing it from continuing on to completion. What we are going to do is one of the only things you didn't try. We are going to tell the computer not to reboot automatically when the error hits. Your computer will stop and display some information about what just happened. That will at least give us a place to start our investigation and tell us what we might need to do.

I am fairly confident we will be able to resolve your issues. We can set aside the worry factor until both of us start to panic! We are nowhere near that yet. :thumbup2:

Please do the following for me, if you would.

Diagnose Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Errors

--------------------

• When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:

Posted Image

• When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not.

Posted Image
  • Please include this information in your reply.

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to :thumbsup2:

• Blue Screen information

Edited by Oh My, 27 December 2012 - 09:38 AM.
Added explanation

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#3 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Ok Gary, I'll do what you ask. I may have to write it down and type the results, because currently I can not get on line with the troubled computer and I use my wife's computer to reply. Please wait, and know I'm on it and will reply just as soon as I can.
Thanks for coming on board to fix my computer Gary!

#4 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

You are most welcome and take your time. Thanks for letting me know the hoops you have to jump through. :)
Gary

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#5 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Gary, So far I have acquired a external back up drive to which I hope to copy the hard drives files and folders and Docs. just in case it is reformatted. however there is a hold up in this copying... due that I am attempting locate a adapter that is needed to do the copying . What I'm needing is a USB Female A to USB female A connector...aka: a double ended female usb connector so I can join two male USB cables together.

I thought it best to attempt to copy the HD if I can, before I accidentally clear it! ...would I ever be in deep trouble then!

I'll keep you posted
Thanks again!

#6 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,973 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Greetings flywelder,

Happy New Year!

Thanks for touching base. I think you are very smart to preserve what you have right now before tinkering with anything. :thumbsup:

I very much appreciate you taking the time to let me know I should expect a delay. Thanks for being so considerate.

Talk to you whenever you are ready.
Gary

#7 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi Gary,
I am so grateful for your patience! Today, I Just want to keep you up to speed with what is happening here on my end. and that is: nothing. because I'm still waiting for the female to female USB connector to arrive from china. I ordered it over a week ago. it must be on a slow boat from china!...then I can do the back up.
I could not find such a connector in my area and I called and searched a 70 mile radius of my home. ...I could not believe that no radio shack or Home depot or Loews or Best buy carried this device, but it is every where in china! :wacko:

Soon as I have that device and attempted to copy the HD. I'll be right back here.
Thanks!

#8 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the update. At least you found it somewhere....
Gary

#9 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

SO here is the latest.
The adapter from china Arrived. However I am still not able to copy or transfer docs.
to the external HDD. rrrrg! :(
I have been doing some reading on line, and I want to run some ideas / questions past you and hear what you think of these ideas:
Could the trouble with my HDD be bad sectors? :unsure:

and would running chkdsk drive_letter: /r" into the command prompt, help at all? :unsure:

but, right now I can't boot to anything that says 'start with command prompt'.

So Is there any means to type that command at any other stage of the boot process?... right now on my own I can only get to bios and the page where I am asked to choose how i want to start windows.

And In order to copy the docs, would it work for me to buy a 3.5 IDE external hard drive case/enclosure. {I just read about those, and apparently a person can slide a IE HDD into it and it makes all the connections and allows you to read the drive, wow that is awesome, and far simpler than what I'm attempting right now to do the same.) I'm watching some external cases on eBay right now, and they end soon.

But would this work if my troubled HDD will not boot up normally? :unsure:
and would I be able then,...while it is in this external case, to have a computer run a scan disk on the drive and maybe repair any bad sectors..if there are any? :unsure:

Now meanwhile while your chewing on those questions, I'll share that today,
I was able to get to the blue screen of death. Here is what I saw:

unmountable_Boot_Volume

stop: 0x000000ED (0x89B69900, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Oh my, ... please tell me, ( maybe you and I will get far enough along tonight so not to worry about this but if not,) .... is it safe to turn off the power to my troubled computer with the Blue screen of death up on the monitor? :unsure: ....as the computer is in the bed room and the fans in it are too loud ( make to much noise) to be able to fall asleep tonight. Thanks!

Edited by flywelder, 14 January 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#10 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Oh and I better ask this question to you before I forget again... as it pertains to bad sectors, and if that has contributed to my troubled HDD I would like to avoid this trouble in the future.

My computer (s) have Glarys utilities installed and periodiclly scans are run.

Q: But will Glarys utilities automatically scan for and repair bad sectors? :unsure:

or do i periodically need to go to each computer and type in: chkdsk drive_letter: /r" into the run command, that i find under the start button? :unsure:

#11 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi flywelder,

Lots of questions there. Before we get into all of that I need to ask you if you have the full Windows XP Installation disk.
Gary

#12 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I do. However, it is cracked. yeah,....see yrs. back, it was laid on the bed with some other papers as we were moving furniture to paint and my wife fell backwards onto the bed and the pile of papers, when we cleared off the bed we found the cracked disk. I glued it with super glue. but I have never had to use it.

#13 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hi flywelder,

Well I don't think the disk will help us.

Let's check your Master Boot Record first. Please do this.

Run xPUD From a CD

--------------------

Please perform the following steps:

• Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your computer
  • Launch GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Format your USB then download dumpit to your USB drive
  • Remove the USB
  • Boot your computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 while booting to go into Setup and change Boot Sequence to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • Replace the USB
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Double click on the dumpit file.
  • A black window will pop-up and it will dump and zip the MBR to your USB drive.
  • Press Enter to exit the black window.
  • Click on HOME tab and choose Power Off to turn off xPUD.
  • Remove the xpud cd
  • Remove the USB device, plug it into a clean computer
  • Locate the mbr.zip file in your USB drive and attach it when you reply.

Things I would like to see in your next reply. :thumbsup2:

• mbr.zip (attach)

Gary

#14 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi, Forgive my delay in responding, it has been hectic here on my end, with grand babies and their needs. Though, I have info to share with you.
A friend has loaned me their external hard shell case that I can slide the HDD into. SO I did. I connected it to my wife's computer. The wife's computer recognized the HDD. Now I am able to see the documents and folders that are on the HDD.
Does knowing this change your instructions any?
Or do you want me to re-connect it to the computer it was in and I go ahead and get GetxPUD.exe and run it?

Also, in the instructions, I don't understand why I am to utilize a USB ( is this also known as a flash drive / thumb drive??) if I am to burn the program to a CD. ??? Do I need both or just one and which one? I'm certain the confusion lies with me, I also need detailed instructions...unfortunately.

The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
Format your USB then download dumpit to your USB drive
Remove the USB
Boot your computer with the CD you just burned
The computer must be set to boot from the CD

#15 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hi flywelder,

No forgiveness necessary. :)

It is not really you, these steps are more complicated than most and are inherently confusing. The first time I saw these instructions my head hurt!

What we want to do is get to some information that is not normally shown and having access to the hard drive like you do now unfortunately doesn't help us. The easiest way for us to do that is to have you put back the original hard drive and follow the steps.

Also, in the instructions, I don't understand why I am to utilize a USB ( is this also known as a flash drive / thumb drive??) if I am to burn the program to a CD. ??? Do I need both or just one and which one? I'm certain the confusion lies with me, I also need detailed instructions...unfortunately.

Yes, what I am referring to is a flash drive/thumb drive. And yes we will be using both a CD and the flash drive.

Basically what we are going to do is this. Create the CD as instructed. This will give us a separate operating system to launch that does not include Windows. See the thing is what we need is some information about your Windows Operating System BEFORE it loads up. Using the CD we are creating will allow us to do that.

Now for the flash drive. The reason we need this is because we need it to hold the dumpit program we are downloading. That program is going to be used to get us the information we need.

So basically this is how it is going to go:

• We will download xPUD to the computer
  • We will then create (burn) the xPUD CD which is actually the Operating System your computer will launch without touching Windows (that is why we boot the computer from the CD)
  • We will download the dumpit program onto the flash drive
  • With the flash drive inserted into the sick computer we are going to launch the dumpit program and it is going to look into your hard drive for the information we want. It will automatically save it as a file on the flash drive
  • Then you will be able to plug the flash drive into a good computer and attach the file for me to evaluate.

If this is still confusing please let me know. These are complicated steps and unfortunately there is no easy way around the complications.

Edited by Oh My, 17 January 2013 - 07:13 PM.

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users