Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wire connectors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

I'm working on another laptop(no roaches inside thankfully) and, well I broke something. :/
Their power cable couldn't go in, the connection was loose. Basically the part inside had broken loose. I have it fixed up good enough now, a little hot glue, so that it can actually make a connection and power on... I guess up til now they couldn't even do that. Still a little loose, the part inside. The connection is good though... just a little wobble. Will attempt to tighten that up somehow....

Anyway...
While disassembling the silly thing, while disconnecting the various wires, I accidentally pulled on the wires for the left speaker instead of the connector. The wires popped out and the connector actually broke. The wires coming out actually tore the thing apart leaving part inside and part out. Odd... Had to use some needle nose pliers to get the other part out.
Anyway...
I have two questions now. If I want that speaker working when I return this I have to buy a new connector...
One question would be, is it difficult to put wires into such a thing? Do I just replace that connector or the whole wire setup? (I didn't follow the wires to see where the other end led to...
Second question is more important at the moment... What do I search, specifically, to find a new part? There's SO many connectors and sizes and such, it gets confusing easily. This was a tiny two wire thing... tiny. I seemed to have misplaced part of the one that broke otherwise I was going to have a picture. I put most of the laptop back together so I could test out the power and check some other things out... or else I'd take a picture of the right speaker connection. I still can if need be... but for now, I'm headed to google. I just thought I'd ask here as well to see what people recommend for this when it comes to replacing and purchasing. I've bought a few computer parts from ebay and amazon with good success. I'm sure someone on ebay would have those tiny little connectors but, I'll have to figure out some specifics I think for when you search "laptop speaker connectors" or something similar, you get a LOT of very different results.
On my way to google......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

of course you did try to search for "laptop speaker connectors brand and model of laptop"? Can see if there is a name/number on the connectors as well.

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

yep... I tried looking things up that way. I'll have to try and look at the connectors to see if there's any info on them but I doubt it. They're tiny.
My problem is, I'm likely not looking up the right words. If you look that up with the model# you get nothing on ebay anyway. I figured that tiny little plastic part ought to be cheap, somewhere... I'm just not yet certain of the exact word(s) to be looking up.
Worse case scenario I'll just buy new speakers. Found some on ebay for just under $5 with free shipping. I figure that little plastic piece should be cheaper than that but if I can't find what I'm looking for, $5 isn't too bad.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

If you could please post the make and model number (P/N)# found on the sticker located on the bottom panel of this laptop, I will see if I can link you to a service manual that has detailed exploded views of such model that will make your job a lot easier. :thumbup2:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Bruce. It's a Toshiba Satellite L455-s5008

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I figured I'd add a few pictures to show what I mean and all...

Here's what the wires look like now... Also circled is where the connector goes...
Posted Image

Here's the connection for the other speaker's connection plugged in.
Posted Image

And here's the speaker and wire together...
Posted Image

I was wondering if just that tiny little plastic at the end was something a person could order somewhere? I figured if you could, it would be dirt cheap. But I'm also wondering now, I'd have to make sure that the wires went in the correct side of that connector......
On ebay I can get both speakers, even though I only need one, with the wires and connectors in tact... for just under $5. If I can't find the tiny connection dirt cheap AND find it easy to assemble, just buying new speakers would be the easiest thing. Cheaper is always better but whatever is simplest is also something to consider.

#7 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Probably would be the easiest route to buy the speakers off Ebay.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

First off in photograph number 1, I can clearly see a white arrow pointing towards the right pin on the circuit board.

If that little white arrow is associated with the two pin connector you have circled, then this would mean that the pin on the right is the (+) Positive connector.

Of the two loose wires you have also circled in photo number 1, the white wire is the Audio (+) (Positive) wire and the black one is the (-) Negative Ground.

You can easily slip those wires back onto the pins of the connector on the circuit board.

If you wish, you can apply a bead of solder to each, try not to apply prolonged heat to any of those connections, as this will tend to melt the wire casing and can damage the pin's mounting holes and circuit traces on the circuit board.

Please use extreme caution and you should be good to go.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Bruce, good to know that info.
The only issue with that would be, you have to disconnect the speaker connections if you ever want to take the palm rest off.
I have the power connection secured enough that I'm about done inside anyway... but if it ever needed to be opened up again for something else, you'd have to unsolder it to get the palm rest off... Has me wondering if there's another way... Really stinks that I don't have extra connectors laying around. I have a few laptops sitting here unused but they use different connections for those things. Oh well.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

I understand your concerns about future repairs.

If that becomes a possibility, you can simply apply enough heat with a soldering iron and the connectors should simply slip back off again. The object is not to use more than enough solder to simply tack the two metals together.

Now if you was to crimp the connectors on the end of the wires slightly with needle nose pliers, while they are on the circuit board pins, this should make the connection more secure and less likely to separate / slip off.

At my vantage point, I can not test how tight and secure the connections are without adding any type of aid, but you can.

If you feel that those clips as I'll call them, can safely and securely stay attached to the circuit board pins, then by all means attach them and secure the wires with good tape to an area near the connector and leave it as that.

You should be good to go.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users