Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Check for Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stufman128

stufman128

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Working on my daughters Dell Latitude D610 laptop which hasn't been used in over a year. No virus protection on it (not sure what happened as I loaded AVG on it a few years ago). Went to download.cnet.com, clicked the download for AVG, but received the following message: Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Same thing happened when I tried to download Avast. Used my PC to download AVG onto flash drive and tried to load onto laptop in safe mode. Receive the following mesg: Error code 0xC0070643. Installing 3rd party redistributables failed. Ran: TDSSKiller, RKill, and SuperAntispyware but still unable to run an AV program. Thought since Windows hadn't been updated in over a year, maybe that was the issue. Opened IE8 and keep getting the following: Welcome to IE8 Splash screen, Window advising browser has been upgraded, pop up window stating: A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer. IE has reset this setting to your original search provider.., Information bar states current security settings put computer at risk clicking, Fix Settings for Me does not solve anything. Going to Microsoft Update page receive the following mesg: Install the ActiveX control required to view the website. The Information bar only references the Security issue, nothing about installing ActiveX. Was going to Uninstall/Reinstall IE 8, but would lose all Windows updates loaded since IE8 was originally installed.

Don't have the Windows restore disk, it's either lost or somewhere in my daughter apartment in Italy (I'm in USA, Pennsylvania)

Any ideas as to what's going on and how I may be able resolve these issues.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Stu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

AVG problem, see http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=215876 .

I'd simply use a different AV, Avast Free and Avire Free and MSE come to mind.

Installing an activeX control at Windows Update...is standard procedure.

Louis

#3 stufman128

stufman128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Louis. I was able to get a virus protection program to run and it did pick up 1 trojan. ActiveX would not load from Windows Update but I was able to load it from another site. Unfortunately I still was unable to use Windows update to download any updates to XP and IE8 was still giving me mesgs regarding security & home page changes.
After doing a bit more research, I found that by simply creating a new user in XP, with Admin rights, I was able to use Windows Update to get all updates to XP. Everything seems to be working correctly now.

Stu

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

:thumbup2: , nice work, thanks for letting us know.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users