Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop icons converted to microsoft word

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 junebday59

junebday59

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

I am running Win 7 andsomehow all of my desktop icons have converted to microsoft word. In fact all of the software in Programs have been hyjacked.

Now I can right click on the desktop and selest "open with" then click on any of the choices available in the dropbox and this will change all of the icons. But still unable to open.

The interesting thing is my wife (as another user) has not been affected by this at all. Business is good for her side of the computer.

To date we have tried the following.

1. have tried a number of different registry fixes but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hello -
Can you please list a few of the "Registry Fixes" that you have made so far, as these may not have helped -
Sounds like it your shortcut associations for your programs were all changed to Word. This is possibly just on your User Profile. There's a couple of ways that you can do to try and fix this. You can use System Restore to go back before this happened or, you can create a new profile and see if your program associations will go back to normal. I'll provide you with a couple of links on how to use System Restore and How to fix a corrupted profile.
As always - Please make sure that you back up all your files before you try this.

System Restore: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/517d3b8e-3379-46c1-b479-05b30d6fb3f01033.mspx#EI

Fix a corrupted user profile
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx

Also ; Have you checked out These solutions from Microsoft Answers?

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Did you try the LNK fix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users