Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chalino

chalino

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

:thumbsup: hey guys, i need some help...i want to upgrade my original hard drive wich has 19 gigabites, to a new one that has 40 gigs. i opened my computer up, and i took the old one out, and put the new one in, wich already has windows xp professional installed, and it doesnt work...it goes to the screen that says if you want to start windows in safe mode and all of that....so i took the hard drive out, and tried it out on my lil brothers computer, and it works fine on his...wut am i doing wrong on mine???? and then when i try to put the 19 gig hd on, it starts up and then it my computer freezes...wats goin on??? now im screwed cuz none of them want to work on my computer!!! i cant put the new drive on slave, cuz i can only have one drive mounted on...please help me, as i am going crazy!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

How did it already have Windows installed?

If it was installed on a different computer it will have an incorrect registry for the one you put it in, and besides, XP won't recognize the installation as legitimate either. It isn't the computer that XP was licensed in.

If your original installation of XP was installed using a retail version CD, you may be able to reauthenticate it, but you will have to either reinstall it on the new hard drive using the retail Windows CD (and the 25 digit key number that came with it) or migrate it from the old hard drive using migration software.

If it came preinstalled in a different brand name computer and you don't have a retail Windows XP installation CD (and the appropriate 25 digit key), the license is not transferable.
(i.e. If it came preinstalled in a Dell computer and now you are trying to put it on a different computer even if it is another Dell.)

The way you install a new hard drive is to put your old one back in and then use the software that came with the new hard drive to transfer everything to the new hard drive which must be installed as a slave to recieve the migrated data. Once that is accomplished you can install it as the master and remove the old drive or use the old drive as a slave.

Make sure the jumper settings on the hard drives (both) are installed properly as master or slave (and reset when you move them).

If you don't have the migration software you can download it from the new HD manufacturer's site - i.e. Maxblast for a Maxtor drive, Seatools for Seagate, etc.

If you are trying to pirate XP, you will most likely not be successful. If the 25 digit license key has ever been used in any other computer, it will not activate in yours.

#3 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

Windows seems to sometimes for no apparent reason, take time to settle. It does NOT like the disruption of a new disk suddenly thrust at it! I would first of all check that the disk is set as primary device in the BIOS, with 'autodetect' on, make sure the disk jumpers are set to 'master' or 'cable select' (in fact try both), and then if there's still a problem try a new IDE ribbon connector. Try booting at least half a dozen times afterwards.
phantazy

#4 chalino

chalino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

thanks guys, ima try that out, all of it....yea, i had already installed windows on my lil bros computer and though that i could just take that hard drive and put it on my computer...so...is there any way of formatin the 40 gig hard drive and then put it on mine and install widows again?

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

Yes, you can. In fact, thats how it is supposed to be done. The installation that was done on your brother's computer needs to be trashed. Here's a run-down of the steps you need to do:

1) Set the jumper on the new 40G drive to Master. If you are going to use your old drive then let it stay unconnected for the time being to avoid confusion.

2) Install XP on the new 40G drive. When the opportunity comes up during the installation process, format the drive. This will delete all files on the drive. Then, install XP on the partition named "C:". Get XP up and running normally.

3) Once XP is running OK, shut down completely. Set the jumper on your old drive to "Slave". Install it on the same cable as the new drive (meaning, don't attach it to the ribbon cable for the CD/DVD drive). When you restart, the old drive will automatically be recognised by XP and will be called "D:" Now you can browse the old drive for any files that you want to access. You may as well delete the \Windows\ and \Documents and Settings\ directories on the old drive to free up lots of room. You can either copy files from the old drive to the new and then disconnect the old drive or simply keep it attached forever - your choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users