Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print screen button

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I have windows XP home edition. For some, unknown reason my print screen button copies nothing to the clip board.
I tried another keyboard the same problem. I uninstalled the keyboard in device manager,then rebooted but that didn't work either. I tried searching the Internet for a solution but had no luck there either.

Yet I used that function many times before. When I copy anything else, with Crl+v that works just fine. does anyone have a solution here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Have you tried clicking the Paste icon in Paint if that is what you are trying to paste to?

You could also install a screen capture program and use it instead of Print Screen. I use Screenhunter Free.
It captures the screen without having to paste anything. It does have a learning curve but isn't to difficult to figure out.

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Queen-Evie. But you are missing the point. And that is, the print scr button plays dead. It does not copy what's on the screen. But I know for a fact that there is nothing at all wrong with the actual button. Because I can connect the same keyboard to another Windows XP computer and it works just fine. It's got to be something wrong in the operating system. But what?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Once you have pressed the print screen button what do you do next.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Have you tried clicking the Paste icon in Paint if that is what you are trying to paste to?

You didn't answer the question. I asked that because you mentiond Crl+v and clicking the paste icon is an alternative. If you are pasting into other image editors there could be a paste icon or something on the toolbar to click that would have PASTE as an option.

I made the suggestion of a different program because it could be a work-around until you get your issue resolved. Your choice whether to use one or not.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

... my print screen button copies nothing to the clip board.

Let's test your statement to see whether or not that is actually the case.

The clipboard viewer is normally located here (in XP): C:\WINDOWS\system32\clipbrd.exe

Let's firstly open the Clipboard Viewer:
  • Go to Start > Run, to open the "Run" dialog box.
  • Copy clipbrd.exe and paste it in the "Run" box, and then click OK.
    You should now see a "Clipboard Viewer" window on-screen.
  • The Clipboard Viewer window should contain what you currently have copied to the clipboard, namely "clipbrd.exe".
Now, press the <PrintScreen> key.
  • What do you now see in the Clipboard Viewer window?
  • Did pressing the PrintScreen key copy whatever you are currently looking at on the screen to the clipboard?

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Queen-Evie, I only mentioned PrtScr+v as some people suggested trying that or even diferent combinations.but the simple fact is that every time I press the PrntScr button, IT SHOULD COPY what's on the screen. I apreciate that you mentioned a workaround program. And I might have to use that, but as you said it is more comlicated than just pressing one button.

As for what do I see after opening the clip-board viewer: NOTHING. But if I copy anything else, using the mouse right-click then select copy, or even ctrl+c it shows up on the clip-board just fine. By the way, AustrAlien. Thanks for showing me how to start the clip-board viewer.

By the way, I had the same problem on my new Windows 7 laptop. But somehow it fixed itself.

Edited by Chris4835, 25 December 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

It's got me beat in that case. I can't offer anything else that may help determine why the key is not doing what is expected.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks austrAlien. Maybe someone else might have the answer or a suggestion.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Shot in the dark here: does your keyboard have an F lock key? If it does press it, then try printing the screen/pasting to see what happens.

I did a search and found one reference to F lock key being the reason one person could not get print screen to copy.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi -
Just another wild idea -

Press the CTRL and PrintScreen keys at the same time - Now go directly to Paint in Accessories and press CTRL + V keys together -

What is the result ??

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

It seems strange that anything you copy to the clipboard doesn't show up in clipbrd.exe. If you press Alt+PtrSc that should send just the current open window to the clipboard.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#13 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thank you all, Queen-Evie,Ausse Adict and Keithuk for trying so hard to help me.

First there is no F-lock key on this kb.

Second Ctrl+PrtScrn does not copy either.

And third: Even Alt+PrtScrn does not copy anything either.

Actually, the keyboard is not the culprit at all. That I know a hundred percent. As I can use the same keyboard on another computer and it works just fine. It must be something with the operating system. But what?

If I had the original Windows XP Cd I might try installing XP on top of itself. But I only have the Gateway restore Cd's and using them might wipe out all of my programs. I do have an XP CD from my other computer. But since it is registered with that computer. I'm not sure it would work with this computer.

#14 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi, a repair of XP can be carried out, provided that the other XP CD is a full Microsoft retail copy and is exactly the same level, for example both are Windows XP home. Any manufacturers recovery disks will not work it has to be the genuine Microsoft disk.

To save me a lot of typing do have a look here=

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

Do also take note of his advice regarding backing up all your data should there be the rare event of something going wrong.

Edit to add, you may wish to try a system file check and repair first though which is normally referred to as SFC /Scannow.

Again to save typing have a look here for how to do it, you may need to have that full Windows XP disk on hand if there are files found to be corrupt and in need of repair.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 29 December 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hi -
All that I can now leave are a few links to other outside tutorials (M/soft and private)

Take a screen capture (print screen) - Windows - Microsoft Next How to Use Print Screen in Windows XP | eHow.com
Finally If you repeatedly press PRINT SCREEN, Windows XP may stop responding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users