Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux on Bootable USB - Persistent installation?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi!

I recently made a bootable USB of Linux Ubuntu 12.10. It works quite nicely (and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying Linux!), but I can't seem to figure out how to save files onto the USB itself. For example, I would like to save LibreOffice files to the Linux "computer" (flash drive).
I've read about Persistent installations of Linux and am starting to wonder if that's the problem (whether or not my installation is persistent)

Any help is greaty appreciated
-r0d3r1ck

Reason for edit: clarifying.

Edited by R0D3R1CK, 24 December 2012 - 04:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hi R0D3R1CK :)

You can do that with the Ubuntu USB Creator just set the amount of reserved space. :) You can also use the Universal USB Installer on Windows. :)

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Things make sense now! (I "forgot" to make a Persistent File)

But now I have a new issue (and I think you'll be able to help me with it)

When I want to turn off the computer, I go to Shut Down...then I get the screen that says "Ubuntu" with 5 dots below (just like at startup)
So that seems good.
But it just sits there...I can't figure out why. The shutdown/startup screen seems to freeze.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

#4 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

So persistence makes sense now (although it has been accompanied by a few anomalies).

For the shutdown issue, I'm going to make a new topic. I'm close to a solution...kinda.
If you wish to follow me there, be my guest!

Thanks!
-r0d3r1ck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users