Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm being hacked, and/or overrun with viruses... again.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mylaptopsucks

mylaptopsucks

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

So, I've had problems with the laptop I'm using ever since my Uncle gave it to me back in '07. I'm not sure how much of this can help, but here's some of my laptop's info:
TOSHIBA Satellite P205D, runs on a 32-bit Operating System, has an AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, uses Windows Vista Home Premium.

Anyways, my laptop is by no means the fastest thing, but until recently it got the job done. I don't have much money to spend getting a fancier one or fixing this one up with a bunch of firewalls and security programs. The first time I experienced a major problem was in '09, when what I believe was a hacker was taking over. It started out at first with simple pop-ups and sometimes even Error messages, which I thought I had fixed by getting Norton. Anyway as time went on it just got worse until it got to the point where I literally had no access to anything on my laptop except to turn it on and choose the user. So I wiped it clean and started anew, and there were little to no problems. However, I don't know too much about computers, and the Error messages and pop-ups started up again about a year after. Starting a couple of months ago, I get 2 specific new windows that keep coming. One says "Search Results" with a magnifying glass icon that can't be minimized (which is mainly a problem because whenever I want to click on anything on my desktop or taskbar I have to either right-click it or click it a thousand times fast in order to open) nor exited out of (as a new pops right back up in its place). The other is a windows dialogue box of sorts, like an error message, that randomly comes and goes and is called "Graphics" with a red "ATI" icon, which says "You do not have permission to change Catalyst Control Settings. Please contact your administrator for further help." and next to the dialogue is a big red circle with a white X (whenever I right click on my desktop background the first option is "ATI CATALYST®Control Center" however nothing happens when it is clicked).

Those are two problems, here's my most recent and greatest concern:
I have two users on this laptop, "001-PC" and "Guest". 001-PC was my user until it was so overrun it was barely usable, at which point I created Guest, which is now in even worse shape. I can no longer access "Guest" because whenever I do, I see the normal desktop background, icons, and taskbar as usual (for about 3 seconds) and then my computer lags, the screen turns black except for the cursor, and nothing happens for quite awhile until a Windows box shows up saying that Windows needs my permission to continue a program. Foolishly, the first time this happened, I clicked Continue, and lo and behold a "Department of Justice" pop-up which dominated the entire screen appeared telling me that they had locked my computer and I could go to jail if I didn't pay the fine in 48 hours for criminal acts performed on the Internet. Now, obviously my laptop isn't locked, or 001-PC (which I'm using at this point) wouldn't work and be accessable, and I did nothing illegal on this thing. What's happening is disturbingly similar to what happened in '09 when some program claiming to be my Firewall was demanding money in order for me to access my laptop.

Some other problems include:
- Tabs will randomly separate and become new windows
- Computer is running even slower (which I didn't know was possible)
- Tabs will lag, close, and reopen randomly
- Laptop randomly shuts off
- Impossible to highlight text
- Back in '09 after the first major incident, the charger cord stopped working. We got a new one but the battery was also a problem as it doesn't hold a charge, so the charger has to be plugged in and charging the laptop at all times or the laptop will shut down.

So those are the biggest issues I'm having. I could really use some help, be it advice, a step-by-step how-to on fixing the problem, or what have you. Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.
Moved from XP to Am i Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mylaptopsucks

mylaptopsucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

What I see when I log onto "Guest":

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 mylaptopsucks

mylaptopsucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

And again, to clarify, I myself have performed none of the actions it says I have in the "US Department of Justice" box.

#4 mylaptopsucks

mylaptopsucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Also, it says that they're recorded via video, however there is no webcam or video in that laptop, nor do I believe there is even an internal mic.

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

You are infected with what is commonly referred to as Ransomware.

Have a look at the following 2 links. Removal procedures for your problem should be the same.

Ransomware 1

Ransomware 2

Post back with results. Keep in mind the holiday season we're in & allow for possible slowdowns in responses.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 mylaptopsucks

mylaptopsucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

When I shut off my computer to reboot it and turn it on with Safe Mode and Networking, it wouldn't stay on. I guess it was overheated. But I had downloaded emsisoft and ran a scan and now the ransomware is gone so I guess it worked. If it comes back I'll be sure to go through the entire procedure.
Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users