Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam security software?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moota1514

moota1514

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hi ive got a friend who has had some idiot scratch his car so im thinking is there any Webcam security software? that he can use so his webcam on his lap top can catch who is doing it thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

What did you have in mind...leaving the laptop in the vehicle...placing it in the window...or other?

I would think you would want a motion sensitive camera for monitoring.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Laptop cameras don't have the best range of field. I presume you don't plan to suggest the laptop be left in the car to attract a different criminal element. Placing it in a window toward the car and it's likely the resolution would be useless for any law enforcement agency to work with. I would suggest other surveillance cameras placed outdoors and monitored by the laptop.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cat33

cat33

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Laptops are one of the most popular items for a thief to steal. I would never place a laptop where a thief could see it. Thieves have been known to yank them out of somebody's hands while they are using it.

Edited by cat33, 24 December 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#5 moota1514

moota1514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi i was thinking of leaving the laptop in the house upstairs and put the webcam at the window........

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

See my reply in post #3 regarding that.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users