Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BCU.exe by DeviceVM - Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

I apologize if this is "old hat" or if I have placed it in the wrong section.

My PrivateFirewall is recording a huge number of report entries under "Processes Detected" - over 10,000 at present for the past week. They are all predominantly BCU.exe items. Having read most of the comments about BCU.exe on the Web, it seems a mixed bag of opinions - some say BCU.exe is OK and harmless, some say it is Bloatware and should be removed as it does no real good, can slow the computer down and is a security risk.

Well, I cannot have my FW generating such a huge number of records, so I have uninstalled BCU using Revo Uninstaller - BCU is now gone.

Have I done the right hing ? I cannot detect any difference since it was deleted. My PC details are :-

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon™ Dual Core Processor 5200B, x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 959 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 78528 MB, Free - 54770 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., M61PME-S2P, x.x,
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

A BC verdict on this matter will hopefully confirm my action has been correct.

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

:spacer:
BCU.exe and BCUService.exe generally refer to Browser Configuration Utility
Do you have decent Antivirus and Firewall software both set up on your computer ??
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, and PrivateFirewall seem to not be working very well -

If you have both of these sofrwares fully active, they should simply "block" the item, and it should not show up anywhere -

This may be a good time to change to another Free Antivirus and Firewall program, as yours seems to allow too much through -

Regards -
EDIT -
I have asked for the 2 other posts to be deleted -

Edited by noknojon, 24 December 2012 - 05:29 AM.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

:spacer:
BCU.exe and BCUService.exe generally refer to Browser Configuration Utility
Do you have decent Antivirus and Firewall software both set up on your computer ??
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, and PrivateFirewall seem to not be working very well -

If you have both of these sofrwares fully active, they should simply "block" the item, and it should not show up anywhere -

This may be a good time to change to another Free Antivirus and Firewall program, as yours seems to allow too much through.

Regards

Hi Aussie,

I am one of the ardent supporters of AVG and the 2013 version is superb. No problem with configuration or performance.

PrivateFirewall is also a brilliant FW and I cannot fault the performance. The BCU records comprise a listing of Processes and are not blockable items, it is simply an Event Log. I cannot allow BCU to generate a record of events every few seconds. Since I deleted BCU, the recorded processes or events are now reasonable - no BCU records.

The consensus of web opinion is that BCU is a waste of time, implanted on the poor user by the supplier of the Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology as an unwanted parasite, can be Spyware and is certainly Bloatware, not at all needed and absorbing significant and unnecessary memory capacity. Majority verdict is DUMP it, but I would really appreciate a good response from BC to see if my conclusions drawn from these sources are logical.

Edited by yabbadoo, 24 December 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

I look at it empirically, Did removing it cause any problems? Is everything still working? Did anything improve (Firewall for example)?

If the answer to question 1 is No and the other answers are yes. Then I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

I look at it empirically, Did removing it cause any problems? Is everything still working? Did anything improve (Firewall for example)?

If the answer to question 1 is No and the other answers are yes. Then I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers
Roger

Hello Roger, love your post, an explicit progression to conclusion.

Q : Did removing it cause any problems? A :- NO.
Q : Is everything still working? A :- YES, no noticeable change.
Q : Did anything improve (Firewall for example)? A :- Nothing improved in practical terms, but nothing adverse happened. FW ?
I would not expect and did not get an improvement in FW performance, but the Process list no longer contains the 1,000`s of BCU items and is only logging "true" processes.

So Roger, the pilots check list passed out clear, we can now take off. My advice now agrees with the general views expressed by many Web "experts" - if you have this parasitic BCU program infested upon you by the astounding and anonymous generosity of Gigabytes Technology - DUMP IT !

Thank you Roger.
Yabba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users