Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarting constantly since last night

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

Ok, so a while back, I was having performance problems with my desktop, so I opened up the PC and got rid of all of the dust, and it made a pretty significant difference in my computer's performance. Feeling it was time for another cleaning (as the same laggy problems were coming back), I popped the case open last night and got rid of some dust.

I noticed one of the little hooks that hold the RAM sticks in wasn't upright all the way, so I took that RAM stick out and put it back in. And ever since I've done that, when I turn the PC on, after 10 or so minutes (whether the computer is idle or not) it will restart on its own. When I remove the RAM stick in question out of the computer, I let my computer sit for a few hours and nothing happens. I've tried rearranging the RAM sticks so they would occupy different slots but it doesn't seem to be working.

Of course, this desktop is rather old and I really don't want to be running Windows 7 on it with 1.5 GB of RAM as opposed to 2.5GB (obviously meaning that the RAM stick causing me problem is 1GB). But I currently do not have the money for a new desktop so this is what I need to deal with now.

I have had the same 4 RAM sticks in my computer for the past 3 or so years so it's not like I put in this RAM stick and it was causing problems all of a sudden.

One of the things that makes me skeptical that it is a bad RAM stick is that Windows still sees it - I can go to System Properties and it will tell me I have 2.5 GB of RAM (I also see that number when it's first booting up).

Also, if you have a bad RAM stick, doesn't Windows blue screen? Or does that only really happen with RAM sticks of different types and speeds?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

can you run memtest?
i recently had a similar issue with ram where i had 1.5gb of ram and it would not boot with the single ram stick in the slot... it would only boot with the original 512 or 512 + 1gb (1.5 total) - i fixed this by flashing the bios...
i also was getting the random reboots that is why i went out and bought a 2nd 1gb ram stick and still had random reboots...
my fix was to swap out the PSU and since then i have had no random reboots...

can you check your event viewer and give us the error code?

so, i would probably update the bios (if it's old and you're having ram problems)
also, run memtest and check to see which card is bad and/or which slot might be bad
and finally, if that doesn't work, try a new PSU and see if your random reboots go away...

and by the way, i did notice you said this all started when you went to clean your dust out... that's the same thing i did... i tried to reseat the the memory modules and that never did fix the random reboots... only after putting in a new psu did the reboots stop.

Edited by _mArs_, 24 December 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#3 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Ok, I'm back, it's Christmas so I can't give you the Event Viewer log right now.

But I thought about the memtest. Should it be run from Windows or a bootable device, like a flash drive or a CD? Because it'd suck if it was testing out the memory and it rebooted.

And if the memtest says that all of the RAM sticks are clean, would that most likely indicate that the PSU is bad/becoming bad?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Disable auto restart to view the error message next time http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Tekken

#5 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Ok, ran memtest and everything came out clean - no memory errors detected.

I checked out Event Viewer and tried to find errors. The Critical Errors are Event ID 41, Task Category 63, which tell me that the computer was unexpectedly shut down. But it doesn't really get anymore specific than that. Are there other logs you might want me to check out?

EDIT: Ok, I also unchecked the box so that Windows would not reboot in the event of a failure, but after I left the computer sitting for a few minutes, it still went on and rebooted itself - no error messages or anything.

Thanks.

Edited by Tim Brastow, 26 December 2012 - 03:45 AM.

#6 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

i'm thinking your power supply is failing. can you switch it out with another one?

Edited by _mArs_, 26 December 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#7 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I'm going to try and get a new power supply now.

And if you're curious about my current PSU, I got it just a little over 4 years ago from Best Buy for $60 (it was a Dynex PSU). Don't know if 4 years out of a PSU is good or not, especially considering where I got my PSU from.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

. When I remove the RAM stick in question out of the computer, I let my computer sit for a few hours and nothing happens

Remove the stick for now or use another RAM on the same slot. The slot or the RAM you mentioned could be the culprit.

Tekken

#9 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

And an update to this issue:

New PSU came in today, put it in. Seems to be running well so far, haven't had a reboot yet.

It cost me $45, and I can get $20 off with a rebate.

Thanks for the help.

#10 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

you're welcome! good luck with it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users