Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you force IE7 onto Windows 2000?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 win2000

win2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have a fairly old laptop running Windows 2000 with SP4. I was wondering if there is a way to force Windows 2000 to install IE7 on it. If anyone knows a way please tell me. Every website says I can't, but I am doubtful. I don't care how hard it is I have some experience with computers. Thanks and please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

EDITED: Was thinking Windows 7.....not the browser 7....DOOOOH..

Edited by buddy215, 24 December 2012 - 08:44 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

You could list the Make and Model of computer and post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy << Follow These Directions

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

From what I've read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_7 the following is the minimum in order to run IE7:

233 MHz processor
Windows XP SP2.
Super VGA (800 x 600) monitor with 256 colors.
Mouse or compatible pointing device.
RAM (for the browser alone): 64 MB for 32-bit Windows XP/Server 2003, 128 MB for 64-bit Windows XP/Server 2003.

It appears that Microsoft site no longer carries the information. This is no surprise since there are two versions of IE to come out since IE7.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Extra added to support the post from Orange Blossom -

IE7 will only be available for WinXP SP2 and higher.
If downloaded from a non-Microsoft site all bets are off as to whether or not it includes a virus.

The decision to update Internet Explorer before Longhorn arrives in late 2006 was announced by Bill Gates at the RSA Conference in February. Although Microsoft had said it was focusing on Windows XP SP2 only, the company did leave open the possibility of IE7 supporting Windows 2000.
"One reason is where we are in the Windows 2000 lifecycle. Another is that some of the security work in IE7 relies on operating system functionality in XPSP2 that is non-trivial to port back to Windows 2000."

You need to install a version of XP SP2 as a minimum, to cope with I.E.7 - You can ignore my post for the Speccy Snapshot, unless you wish to Update the O/S -

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users