Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

loose PSU to motherboard connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 callmeevo

callmeevo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hey all, just curious if anyone has dealt with something similar before, and if/how you fixed it.

One of the two cables that run from my PSU directly to my motherboard (the smaller one, if it helps) is loose, and will sporadically loose connect, causing my pc to shut down (and generally restart immediately). I've noticed by moving the cable around in the socket, it will cause my computer to shut off or reset less sporadically. This is not true if I attempt to manually wiggle the port on the motherboard. I'm looking for a way to somehow improve the quality of the connection -- I had thoughts such as tiny amounts of electrically conductive compound at each connection, and I also wondered if it's reasonable to just replace the adapter at the end of the PSU cable.

Thoughts? Could this be signaling that it's time for a new PSU?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Which connection from the PSU...the 20/24-pin or the smaller one?

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I would look at the socket and make sure that the loose connection hasn't damaged it. I've seen that.

What you could do is look into the plug and see if you can tighten up the four power connectors in it. Or Go to the local computer store and as long as you have a free 4 pin Molex they should have or be able to order an adapter to use in place of the bad plug.

I would not use conductive compound. It could cause heating or leak through to the other pins and cause a short.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 callmeevo

callmeevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hamluis -- the smaller one.

Rotor -- I'll power down and take a look at the socket now. I hope that's not the case. This isn't a molex connector, however, it's an 8 pin connection. Any idea if those are something that can be replaced, provided the motherboard socket isn't damaged?

#5 callmeevo

callmeevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Rotor -- Yikes. the plastic around one of the sockets is browned as if it's been burned, but no visible physical deformation. looks like i'm probably SOL with this board. Any ideas what would cause this issue in the first place, so I can avoid it in the future?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

What I was suggesting is that if you have a free molex connector, you can get adapters from molex to four or 8 pin CPU power plugs as you describe is loose.

Something like this Posted Image
Please note that I am not suggesting this site. I do not know if they are good or bad. I just used it as an example of two 4pin Molex to a 8 pin motherboard plug.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 callmeevo

callmeevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Very cool. I guess I'll give that a go in case it can make a better connection to the mobo. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

OK, I have seen that caused by as bad (Loose) connection before. If the socket is truly a 8 pin and you have been using a four pin that could contribute to the problem. I have seen them get so hot they fused together. However Since you say 8 pin that means 4 power and 4 ground. If you get a adapter such as my example and use it, you will still have three good connections and most likely it will work fine that way. However Get the adapter right away before any further damage occurs.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

I'd try tightening the square socket pins of the PSU connectors by prying between them and the surrounding plastic with jeweler screwdrivers. I don't know what's good for cleaning off carbon burn deposits, but if you use something like PB Blaster solvent (car parts stores), keep it away from the wire insulation because it dissolves it. OTOH the nylon body of the connector can probably withstand it. Sometimes just plugging and unplugging connectors several times will clean them, but here you may need to scrape them with a jeweler's screwdriver.

Cable ties placed too close to the connectors, common with sleeved cables, make the cables stiff and more prone partially pulling out of the sockets. A friend of mine recently had intermittent problems getting his motherboard to boot because of this, and he fixed it for good by cutting the cable ties, but that probably voids the warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users