Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates - recommended?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Homer Sims

Homer Sims

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

I found over years that automatic updates CLOG my C-Drive on my servers till the c-drive has almost no room on it.

On Client Machines (user machines) XP - they gradually make the machine slower....

Are Microsoft Updates still recommended?

I have heard from colleagues that they just turn them off and then PLAY SAFE... and don't get into issues and have faster easier to manage systems as a result

Any answers appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

No, it's a bad idea to stop patching your machine. Especially Internet Explorer and Office updates.

If you don't, you will leave vulnerabilities in your browser that can be exploited just by visiting a site.

And I've not experienced slow downs because of patching machines. For your servers: you can cleanup those files.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

This is just an opinion.

I always install all the Microsoft security updates. I am set to Notify just in case I'm doing something and I install them once I see them before shutting down.
I always update my AntiVirus to the latest version once it is released too.

The way I look at it, Any minimal slowdown is nothing compared to the headache and slowdown caused by Malware.

I knew someone like your colleagues. He was bragging he'd been computing for many years and never ran a Antivirus because he was careful where he went on the internet and what he opened.

Two weeks later he was asking what Antivirus I used since he had just caught one.

These days with all the drive by malware installers out there are you sure you have the vulnerabilities fixed?

With a new windows the first thing I do is Antivirus then I connect to the Internet.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

In order to "PLAY SAFE" you would need several security programs installed just to know if a site was Trusted / Safe
I never go online without WOT turned on to advise me on trusted or dangerous sites, Antivirus, and Malwarebytes Pro, Active Version.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the only Security program I have ever paid for. A once only $24 Lifetime License.

I found as above by rotor123 that you do need any Antivirus, and that introduced me to similar forums as this one (the hard way) -

Updates / Antivirus / Antimalware are all part of todays internet, just look at the Malware Removal area here, and most thought they were protected ! ! !

Good Luck -

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

I definitely should have mention WOT (Web of Trust) I have it installed in IE and Firefox. I won't go on the Internet without it.

Safe Browsing Tool | WOT (Web of Trust)

As noknojon suggests, good ideas. They may slow things a little bit but better a little slow than taking 30 minutes to boot. I've seen that too. really bad viruses on the person computer.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

You speak about servers and colleagues. Care to provide more info about your work and environment?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users