Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeP1

GeorgeP1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

I am getting ready to buy a new computer (my 5 year old computer is giving me death moans) and it will be a combination of home use and I also do video marketing so I use camtasia and powerpoint.

My question is, since I have no clue and am on a limited budget (wife only wants to spend 500 dollars)any idea what I should get?

Thanks for the help and appreciate you all taking the time to read this.

Happy Holidays,
George Patrick

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 December 2012 - 08:00 PM.
Moved to more appropriate section. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

For $500, you could get the lenovo IdeaPad S400 (59342932) which can run Powerpoint and Camtasia easily.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 GeorgeP1

GeorgeP1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Thanks Killerx525 I will look into it.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

For another $7 you can get this one with an i5 processor.
Buy.com - Lenovo G570 15.6" Core i5 500GB HDD Notebook
Today $505.99 Free Budget Shipping

Lenovo G570 4334EEU 15.6" Notebook, Intel Core i5-2450M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 damando

damando

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Are you just looking for a laptop ? or have you consider a desktop ? Also what computer are you throwing away ? You could possibly use some of your old parts (if it was a desktop) . Also are you just looking to purchase a new one already built or possibly build one yourself ?

#6 adamyjake

adamyjake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

just build your own computer?

cpu: i5 3470
case: Fractal Design Core 1000
ram: Corsair Vengeance 4GB
motherboard: ASRock B75M-GL Intel B75

just need a power supply. i'm in the uk and everythings abit more expensive so hopefully that will be in your range :)

Edited by adamyjake, 29 December 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#7 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

If you're going the laptop road...check out Newegg/Amazon/TigerDirect etc. Newegg is famous for having spontaneous 24 hour sales where you can get a $700 laptop for under $500.

If you're going the desktop route....build your own. The hardest part is picking out the components, and most of the regulars here can make (and I think most of us have done) hardware recommendations in our sleep. The actual assembly requires a screw driver and a little patience, but it isn't anything that can't be done.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

>> If you're going the desktop route....build your own. The hardest part is picking out the components, and most of the regulars here can make (and I think most of us have done) hardware recommendations in our sleep. The actual assembly requires a screw driver and a little patience, but it isn't anything that can't be done. <<

And there in, as the Bard says, lies the rub.

@MDTechService - first off, Happy New Year! I'm in the same spot as the OP, am looking for a new computer and am definitely looking for a desktop, not a laptop.

My budget limit would be no more that $900 (U.S. dollars) and doesn't need a great deal of bells and whistles.

I don't game and, I think, the most I ask out of my current machine, is to run Audacity. Otherwise, I don't do much other then surf, watch some videos online and create a lot of documents (with Open Office) and store a lot of music and photos.

I've considered building my own (I've never done it, mind you) but not sure if it really is that easy.

With that in mind, I saw your post (and I know killerx525 has made numerous suggestions and has always been helpful to everyone here) and thought, "well, heck, maybe I should ask".

I have the luxury of time; my spiffy e-machine, while on it's last leg, it still slow but running.

So, can either one of you post some parts you think might work for me?

Do you think I should start a new post?

Any and all feedback always appreciated.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#9 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Do you think I should start a new post?

Most definitely start a new post. Most will just think you are replying to the OP.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#10 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Will do, thanks!

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users