Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with updates XPsp3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bearman1

bearman1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Let's see.........describe what I have. I have a about a 10 year old dell 4500 (I think) pentium4 - 2.4 ghz processor (added) 2.50 gig of RAM, and a beefier power pak to run the ATIX1600 (256MB) graphics card, and creative media sound blaster sound card.

Everything was going along pretty well (sorta)...till the puter started slowing down pretty much. So, I registered here (awhile back) to come looking for some assistance. And, I ended up "slip-streaming" SP3 onto a new installation disc, so as to save me some time with the "scan\now" in my attempts in resolving my issue/s. It didn't, but was tankful that I at least learned how (one time anyways......lol) to perform the "slip-stream".

Upon further purusings, I found that I was running outta C: drive space. I had bought and installed a WD 250gig xternal HD some time prior, as I was seeing that I was running out of space. More so, then I realized, as I fouind out (in here mind ya) that more space was needed as slack space then I had, which it seems was what was causing this slowness.

So, what I did, was, transferred my WMP and the whole library to my "(fat32)G" drive, and pointed WMP to go there and to put there any cd's that I played and wanted to keep.

METHINKS, this is when my problem/s started, as (it took me awhile to notice/realize this) that NOW it was looking like windows update/s was seemingly crossing into my G drive with reckless abandon, and storing these updatates (or, parts of 'em) THERE (as looking into my G drive I was seeing ALL kinds of folders that "I" sure didn't put there)! And, not only wouldn't install 'em, but WHEN it was successful, the puter would hang at the welcome screen, and, I would have to manually shutdown the puter and restart manually, which effectively NIXED the whole update process.

Well? Better late then never, I suppose, I have (just now) had the brain fart of: "Why don't I just (safely) remove the G drive from this equation, thus forcing win updates to do its thing on C drive?" Then, I'll go into win updates (after rebooting.HOPEFULLY successful) and just have it d'load BUT NOT INSTALL future udates, in which case I'll merely disconnect the G drive (again) and intall 'em.

My question to y'all is: I THINK there's GOTTA be a better way! Will my WMP ever work again? Is there some way to keep the G drive online, but not allow this unauthorized access into G drive?

The updates are installed and I need to reboot, and if successful will then reconnect G drive and be back to see if you good people have a solution to future (and probable) dilemmas.

Thanks for reading this, and for your advice. Paying it forward, ya know?

Bear

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bearman1

bearman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

SUCCESS!!..........All the .NET Framework updates installed, with the G drive unplugged. Plugged in the G drive and it asked me something about auto-play er something like that, and I clikked on WMP, and it came up (whew), and I klikked on a song, and it started playing. COOL!!!!

So, that worked out rather well, in which I am grateful.

Is there anything I can do now to block off the G drive, so that win update doesn't keep putting unwanted files in there, outside of physically disconnecting it?

Thanks.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Is there anything I can do now to block off the G drive

Is there any actual need to have the G drive (external drive) plugged in all of the time ??
Often you just use this to save any work / files at the end of a session and plug it in to access those items.
OR -
Set Windows Updates to "Download Updates for me, But let ME choose when to install them"
This way you can unplug the G drive when you know there apdates to install -

#4 bearman1

bearman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I was hoping for some "differing" opinion/s, aside from my own, concerning this. But?.....So be it.

Thanks for your advice.

Bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users