Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AT&T Uverse Gateway + Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hardware:
1- computer (desktop) upstairs (PS3 media server and other wifi intensive applications)
1- TV connected via AT&T wireless receiver upstairs (Bluetooth connection, so I've heard)
1- wireless-G laptop
1- TV downstairs connected directly to STB
1- PS3 connected directly to RG
1- AT&T 3801HGV FLX Residential Gateway (RG) http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/3801.pdf
1- D-Link DIR-825 dual band N wifi router
1- iPhone (the one before that crappy Siri thing)
1- Samsung Galaxy S3

My question: I found a while back a great description of the proper way to incorporate a wifi-N router into my home network that is currently running off of AT&T RG, but cannot find it again. The RG is fine, except that I don't want to be limited to wifi-G when I'm streaming 1080p video with high bitrate audio in DTS or DD formats. I've been experiencing a lot of lag.

The linear separation of the current RG and my computer's wifi-N USB "dongle" is about 9 feet; nearly vertically aligned in my apartment. The PS3 is wired to the RG, the STB is hardwired to the RG, everything else is running off wifi. If I can incorporate my DIR-825 then I should be able to maximize speed for video streaming from my media server to the PS3 through the router, as well as maximize my internet connection to the computer upstairs on wifi-N.
http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/pg2.html This is one site I've been reading. Does this all make sense? I feel like that previous site I found once was much simpler. I remember reading that there is an issue if the RG and router have the same IP to log-in (RG = http://192.168.1.254/ and DIR-825 = 192.168.0.1). I don't remember the name for that address, but they're different and should be an issue, right?
I'm above average competency for hooking up this stuff, but not a master tech. I used this router for about 2 years before I moved, got AT&T and didn't bother hooking it back up.

Thanks to everyone for the help! I want my videos streaming more like the olden days when I was hardwired all the way!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

As a further note: I'm assuming that once I've started using the DIR-825 router's wireless, I'll shut off the RGs wireless broadcast. Then, I will be accessing the DIR that's plugged into the RG. So, the DIR will be providing WEP or W2K or whatever security, correct?
Thanks all.
Have a merry Christmas!

#3 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Update: I plugged the DIR-825 into the RG using an ethernet cord. This connects from RG LAN port(out) to DIR-825 ethernet/network port (in). I was able to then connect via wifi to the router (to verify setup) and internet from my computer upstairs. The internet is working properly, connected to the network setup via 825. This is a good sign. However, I still am unable to see the PS3 for streaming :(

#4 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Final update: It turns out the solution was exactly as obvious as I thought. I plugged the DIR-825 into a LAN port on the Residential Gateway. I connected my computer to the D-link network, then plugged my PS3 into a LAN port on the DIR-825. Problem solved: perfectly streaming 1080p video and no lag!!!
Hope this helps anyone else with the issue. I really didn't have to do any other setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users