Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External usb drive from FAT32 vs NTFS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 damando

damando

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

Is it possible to change a drive that is FAT32 to a NTFS and still keep the contents without loosing it ? or do I need to format the drive and loose everything ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

To format a drive is erasing the contents.

Tekken

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

You can change the FAT32 to NTFS without losing or changing any data, but if you try to convert NTFS back to FAT32 it will have the same effect as formatting the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 damando

damando
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thank You "Arachibutyrophobia"......................as far as "Forum Addict" thankx for repeating me and NOT answering my question.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Just so you understand, Arachibutyrophobia and Forum Addict are our member names, like your is New Member. Our user names are dc3 and jhayz, as yours is damando.

Once you have made 1,000 posts you can change your member name.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

There is a compatibility issue which has caused the manufacturers to use FAT32 as their file system, Mac, Linux right out of the box aren't compatible with NTFS.

One of the differences between FAT32 and NTFS is the file size. FAT32 has a limit of 4GB file size, this is less than a 4.75GB DVD.

To convert FAT32 to NTFS you can get the instructions from Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users