Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rooting/Modding, new ROM, Jelly Bean...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I have a fully functional US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S (SCH-I500)with firmware 2.3.5. I would like to upgrade to Jelly Bean or at least ICS. Problem is that this phone is too old for Samsung to care about it.

I have spent numerous hours trying to figure out a way to install a "rogue" Jelly Bean OS. After all of my research, I have downloaded a AOKP facinatemtd and would like to "install" it on this phone.

1. Will this work? If no, what will?
2. Will it be a stable OS?
3. Will the phone have full functionality?
4. Will I still use the "Play Store" to download apps?
5. Where can I get really specific, step by step instructions on how to do this (I have never done this, but am pretty tech savvy)

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Take a look at the ROM's that they have for this device at xda developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S/SCH-I500

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Thanks, Animal. Are you saying the AOKP will NOT work?

Do you want to take a shot at any of the other questions?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

I'm not familiar with your particular AOKP. I know that individual ROMS have their own idiosyncrasies. This is usually due to their creators own requirements for functionality. While one may have the alarm work, another won't for example. I would check with the developer and find out what works or doesn't work and if he is continuing to support the build if you find issues.

You should have gotten at least an overview of how to install the AOKP from where you got it. Does the developer have a support site or participate at xda?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I haven't been able to find any real answers to my questions. The developer has a presence on RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/forum/424-aokp/), but I haven't found the answers I am looking for, namely a step by step install method!

I found this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1238070

I am thinking that if I follow the instructions, I should get there. Problem is, I am not sure which step to replace with my desired AOKP. Would I use section 4 and then replace the last file with mine?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,740 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

I am thinking that if I follow the instructions, I should get there. Problem is, I am not sure which step to replace with my desired AOKP. Would I use section 4 and then replace the last file with mine?

Not being familiar with your hardware or replacement ROM, thats the steps I would take, yes.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for your help, Animal.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,740 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Wasn't much, but glad I could offer something. Good luck. :thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Just to close the circle, I thought I would provide an update. I was able to install a AOKP ROM, but was not able to figure out a way to get the Google apps installed. Since I could not get that done, I decided to put the phone back the way it was before I started. I tried to use the backup I made in "Step 1", but it failed! It took me some time, but I finally found a way to put it back to "stock". I am not sure it actually did that, but the phone is working as expected. I originally had firmware 2.3.5 and am now on 2.3.4. Not sure what the differences are, but when I tried to use the Samsung upgrade tool, it informed me that I was not on a Firmware that is supported by the tool.

Needless to say, the project did not go as planned.

#10 PS4AndroidHacker

PS4AndroidHacker

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

Keep trying. You'll enjoy the smoothness of AOKP and Jellybean or ICS as well. I have a Droid 4,totally different phone but try some different ones. If you have a custom recovery installed on the phone, most of the time you have to flash the google apps. Zip file from inside the recovery screen. Definitely check out XDA Developers. I'm a user on that site as well with the same username if you would like to add me. Hope I encouraged you to keep up the good fight! Congrats on trying new ROMs!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users