Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem on start up with Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi, since I recently installed some Windows XP Pro updates, every time I boot up I get the following message:

"Outlook Express could not be started. The application was unable to open the Outlook Express Message store. Your computer could be out of memory or the hard disc is full. Contact Microsoft support for further assistance. (0x80040154, 14007)"

I have tried removing Outlook Express from the "Add/Remove Windows Components" in the Control Panel, (since I never use it,) however the message persists. Needless to say, the computer is not out of memory, nor is the hard disc full.

(Running Windows XP Pro v.2002 SP3)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

See http://repairoutlook.articlealley.com/outlook-express-fails-to-start-with-0x800c012e5-and-msoedll-errors-1387127.html .

Louis

#3 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thanks hamluis, however I don't trust some of the links to the 'repair outlook' tool- can you vouch that the links on this page are malware-free? They look slightly dodgy to me.
I have an XP instllation disc and could repair XP from that but I actually have XP Pro installed.

Edited by AliasSmith&Jones, 23 December 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,470 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Sorry...I don't vouch for links which I haven't created.

The link I submitted is merely a reference, you can use Google to come up with similar references on your error and find one that you think is better, if you like.

Louis

#5 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Okay thanks. I can't even boot into XP now after my recent attempt to fix it, and it is compltely unfixable. I used a Ubuntu anti-virus program to run a scan and had accidentally deleted every "packer" file from the Windows XP partition, this has caused an issue with my antivirus (see link here ... and also with Outlook. I attempted to remove Outlook completely by deleting its keys from the registry and renaming certain folders, and now as I say XP won't even boot.

#6 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi, sorry to multiple post but I got Windows XP to boot again!
I used the recovery console and initiated a successful "System Restore" (although the system restore points in the backup folder look distinctly mangled.)

It booted okay, I updated the antivirus but when I rebooted it froze at the log-in screen with zero disc activity. I then rebooted with "Last known good configuration" and ran Malwarebytes which picked up the "Rogue whiz" (or something like that)piece of malware, which I deleted.

Now I have a further issue with my Avast! antivirus (see previous link), and am still getting the annoying warning messages about Outlook Express (see original post).

Please, is there any way I could just supress these messages since I never use Outlook Express?

I would just reinstall XP but I have lost my Windows XP Pro installation disc. I paid for a clean installation about a year ago from our local computer shop.

EDIT:

Aha I Googled it and found this:

" ... and disable Outlook Express from starting when you turn on your computer. Please follow these steps:

- Click Start -> Run

- Type "msconfig" (without the quotes) and hit the Enter key

- From within the System Configuration Utility window, select the Startup tab

- Scroll through the startup list. You should see a line entry that refers to Outlook Express. Once you find it, remove the check mark from that line entry and then click Apply and then OK

- You will be prompted to restart your computer

- Once your computer restarts, a disclaimer window will appear telling you that the System Configuration Utility was used. Put a check mark in the box electing not to see that message again.

"
Source: google search for "disable Outlook in msconfig"

Edited by AliasSmith&Jones, 30 December 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#7 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

Sorry to multiple post again.
Nope that last bit of advice did not work, I am still stuck with annoying messages about Outlook every time I boot up.
Thanks for your help. :-)

#8 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Sorry to multiple post again.
Nope that last bit of advice did not work, I am still stuck with annoying messages about Outlook every time I boot up.
Thanks for your help. :-)

EDIT: I also have issues with my firewall- see Avast forum here

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232169 .

Louis

#10 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thankyou hamluis.

#11 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thankyou hamluis.

Er... actually sorry, that hasn't fixed it. It could be because the fix mentioned in this article refers to error code 0x8007000E, 183 with Outlook Express but the error code in the screendump in my initial post is 0x80040154 14007.

Anyway at least I have fixed the issue with the Antivirus.

I emailed the person who wrote the ClamTK antivirus which somnehow scanned and deleted all the packer files in Windows XP from the other partition (I have dual boot PC). He suggested looking in the antivirus history of what it had deleted and restoring those files, but this would be impossible unless the process could be automated, since there were 300-500 files deleted I would estimate.

Thanks again in advance for any further assistance.

EDIT:
I have also observed that when I try to start OUtlook, I get the following Error message:

MSOE.DDL could not be initialised

To me this hints at deleted OS files. I tried reinstalling MSEO.DLL both manually and through a program called dll files fixer (http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msoe) but no luck.

Also Windows XP tried to download some updates and only about half of them installed. The ones it couldn't install were: KB2742597, KB2742596, KB2756918 and KB2736416.
Thanks.

Edited by AliasSmith&Jones, 17 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#12 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Right, sorry to multiple post, but there's been a new development.
I strongly suspect there are multiple .dll files missing and would be extremely grateful if someone could direct me to somewhere in the internet I can download them for free?
I ran the following:

sfc /scannow

..in the terminal and the computer asked for lots of .dll files which I don't have (I think I lent my XP Pro disc to someone years ago and now I only have an XP disc!)

Any help gratefully appreciated. :-)

#13 AliasSmith&Jones

AliasSmith&Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sorry to multilpe post (again).

I just tried a system restore because the restore points appeared to go back 3 months to before when the problem(s) started. However as I suspected (and mentioned in an earlier post here,) the restore folder os a complete mess and system restore failed. I tried it twice to different restore points with the same result.
I have just looked up on Ebay and Amazon for the cost of a replacement genuine XP Pro installation CD and it is about £80- I'm not even sure if my entire computer is worth £80!
I think I noticed a source of Windows XP files in a link on the Major Geeks web forum, which I had used successfully previously to get the fax facility in XP working. Not sure to what extent there are copies of the files etc. in XP available for download on this site but I could not find it just now, even going to page 10 of the Google search. I last used it about a month ago.

By the way, as I mentioned the main problem started when I accidentally deleted all the "packer" files on my Xp partition from another partition, using the Clam TK antivirus I had installed in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin. However since doing the deleting I have installed Ubuntu 64 bit v.12.04 so there is no record of which files Clam Tk deleted, hence a level of difficulty higher in restoring the .dll files.

Finally other things in XP don't work as a consequence e.g. Adobe update (it can't find AcroRead.msi and gives error 1612 - see picture)

Posted Image

Any help gratefully appreciated. :-)

Edited by AliasSmith&Jones, 25 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users