Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power supply question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Phil

Dr Phil

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

have a motherboard that came out of a slimline PC, Im trying to move it into a new case as it is very difficult to locate a power supply for the slimline pc. Here is where my problem lies, with a normal power supply the connector is a larger 24pin connector than the board has, is there a inverter that can be bought in order to make this possible or will i have to find a slimline power supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

If you're feeling ambitious you could splice the connector from the slimline to the wires coming out of the regular psu. If I were doing this I would first map the wires by colour from both psu's seperately and see if you have a likely match. You can assume that, say, a red wire from one is the same output as a red wire on the other. or use a multimeter to confirm it. Just don't start cutting wires until you are sure it will work.

Alternately you could continue to use the slimline psu if you can figure out a way to power the mobo by leaving the slimline psu outside the case. Not pretty but it can work.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

http://www.outletpc.com/to3996.html?utm_source=to3996&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CN2r3Patr7QCFWaoPAod8goAIA

I keep one around just for testing HP slimlines.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Dr Phil

Dr Phil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Unfortunately the slimline psu is broken and is what needs to be replaced and i wasnt looking forward to ordering it from ebay as thats only place ive seen them

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

As I said, if you're feeling adventurous, you could replace the standard psu connector with the slimline mobo connector on the standard psu.

What make and model slimline is this exactly?

What make and model is the standard psu?

Just read dpunisher's link, that works too :crazy:

Edited by Leurgy, 22 December 2012 - 09:30 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

I linked you to an adapter to use a regular ATX PSU with a motherboard from a slimline.

If you want a slimline PSU, I order them from KDM out of Houston http://www.ebay.com/itm/220W-POWER-SUPPLY-REPLACE-HP-SLIMLINE-5188-7520-AC-BEL-PC6012-PC6034-SHIP-USA-/320966530586?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item4abb18961a .

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users